Volunteering to move to UC from ESA IR — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Volunteering to move to UC from ESA IR

Options
J2351
J2351 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hey everyone hope all is well :) 

Just a quick question about SDP which I’m sure can be easily answered. 

If I go out my own way to transfer myself from ESA IR to UC will I receive transition protection on my new UC claim for my SDP?  

You might be asking WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT? It’s simple I find it easier and less stressful to have one payment a month rather than several a month 
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you transfer to UC you will get the SDP transitional element included in your starting UC amount. However the UC will be worth less than your old benefits because the SDP transitional element does not fully compensate people for loss of the SDP. 

If you use a benefits calculator you will be able to see the difference.

If you wait until managed migration you will get a transitional element that fully compensates you and ensures that your UC starting amount matches your old benefits.

In either case the transition element reduces over times as other elements increase meaning taht you benefit is effectively frozen until such time as the transitional element has been fully eroded,
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • J2351
    Options
    Hey thanks for commenting :) 

Even if it’s not a natural migration or managed transfer? Bear in my mind I will “Choose to move” my claim. Sounds like something DWP will argue to not award protection of SDP if volunteered 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally if I were you I would wait till you have to do it, it could be longer than you think, I assume you get your ESA every two weeks? if for some reason it's paid weekly you should be able to change to fortnightly?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• J2351
    Options
    I would but I just can’t manage multiple payments in a single month I keep making mistakes and it’s becoming costly :( especially when I have a very bad week with my epilepsy

I really like the idea of receiving a single payment on let’s say the 2nd of every month then paying everything I have to pay on that day or shortly after. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    J2351 said:
    Hey thanks for commenting :) 

Even if it’s not a natural migration or managed transfer? Bear in my mind I will “Choose to move” my claim. Sounds like something DWP will argue to not award protection of SDP if volunteered 

Natural migration is when you decide to claim it yourself. Managed migration is when you're invited to claim it, which has yet started.
    As advised, if you claim it yourself you will be worse off because your ESA includes the SDP. The SDP transitional protection is £120 per month IF your claim includes the LCWRA element.  but this erodes over time. Which means that if other elements increase, the SDP decreases.
    If you're in the Support Group for ESA then LCWRA and the SDP transitional protection for UC pays less than your ESA.
    I can't see how you think 1 payment per month will be better for you to manage as opposed to your ESA being paid fortnightly. To me, that would mean you would be without money for longer.
    Of course it's your decision but choosing to be worse off when you don't need to be is quite strange.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    OP could you make some changes to when you pay your bills by changing the dates you pay them ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    OP could you make some changes to when you pay your bills by changing the dates you pay them ?

I'll second this. The majority of my bills come out about the 1st of each month. I've always paid them around the same time, makes budgeting a lot easier because i know exactly what i need to keep in my bank to pay those DD's.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • J2351
    Options
    You both make some very good valid points, I will definitely considering this. Thank you for the swift replies :D 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    poppy123456 said: 
    I can't see how you think 1 payment per month will be better for you to manage as opposed to your ESA being paid fortnightly. To me, that would mean you would be without money for longer. 
    I think the difficulty some people have is that their are bills are monthly and income at fortnightly (or even four weekly) drifts within the calendar month so the income doesn’t have a constant relationship to the outgoing dates. some people just find this confusing.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.