Mandatory reconsideration. Would a stool in my kitchen be classed as an aid?

Options
gowe
gowe Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can please help me, I am in the process of mandatory reconsideration, I only scored 4 points on my whole assessment. 

I have a stool in my kitchen as I loose my balance and get very dizzy, the assessor has noted this but is this classed as an aid? 

I thought it was but just want to make sure before I put the reconsideration in with all the other things I have to add. 

Thanks ❤️

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Options
    Hello @gowe thanks for your query today :)

I'm not an expert, but I would say that it would be classed as an aid, as without it, you'd be more likely to fall. 

Has there been a time where this has happened, that you can use as an example?
  • gowe
    Options
    Hi @Alex_Scope

thanks so much for the reply, yes there has I’ve told the assessor about me falling too so I will use that as an example. 

Thankyou so much 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Options
    You're most welcome @gowe keep us up to date with how things go if you can, and I wish you all the best for a positive outcome.

If anything else comes up in the meantime, please do reach out :)
  • gowe
    Options
    @Alex_Scope

Thankyou yes I will keep you updated, and if anything else crops up I will be sure to come on and ask I’ve found the scope forum so helpful. 

Thankyou again 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,275 Championing
    Options
    Did you score any points for preparing food? 2 points is possible for needing an aid for the activity. Where else do you think you should have scored points and why?
  • gowe
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456

no I didn’t score any points for preparing food which i am asking for reconsideration I am also mentioning the stool as an aid in a reconsideration letter as it is on my client questionnaire and in the assessor report which she then has not said I have any aids but has wrote in her report where I told her I have a dossett box and stools, one in the shower one in the kitchen. 

There are quite a few things that I need to request for reconsideration.

I have also got a letter of support from my partner explaining my daily needs and I am going to write a few small real world incidents of what has happened to the descriptors that apply. 

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,107 Trailblazing
    Options
    gowe said:
    Hi @poppy123456

no I didn’t score any points for preparing food which i am asking for reconsideration I am also mentioning the stool as an aid in a reconsideration letter as it is on my client questionnaire and in the assessor report which she then has not said I have any aids but has wrote in her report where I told her I have a dossett box and stools, one in the shower one in the kitchen. 

I have also got a letter of support from my partner explaining my daily needs and I am going to write a few small real world incidents of what has happened to the descriptors that apply. 

Hi Gowe,

I have a spinal condition that causes severe pain if I stand up / walk for too long.  When I can`t stand when preparing food, I alternate between a chair in the kitchen and a chair in the dining room.  Sitting down in either room means I can`t use a chopping knife as well as I can standing up; I`ve cut myself a few times when sat down.  I emphasised these points in PIP2.  This covers "aid" and "safety".

I`ve had grab bars installed in the toilet and bathroom. I use the toilet one to help me sit / stand and the bathroom one to shower safely (whithout a grab bar I couldn`t shower safely).  This covers "aid" and "safety".

When I clean my teeth, I have to hold the sink, the bath or the towel rail as an aid.

I, too, use a dosette box; it`s a 7 day, 3 compartments a day box.  I use my mobile phone to set alarms to remind me to take my medication (I had a fractured skull / brain injury a few years ago).  Both are classed as an aid.

When I get up in the morning, I use a litter picker to pick my clothes off the floor so I can get dressed. The litter picker is classed as an aid.

These are just a few of the items that I use that cover a number of activities.

If you haven`t already, look at the website "Benefits and work".  There`s a very good forum there with valuable advice.  If you join (£20 for a year (sometimes reduced to £15)),  you can download invaluable documentation that will help you see your "challenges" from a different angle.

I joined "Benefits and work"; the information there and the forum here helped me enough to gain enhanced Daily Living.  I only got 4 for mobility, which I have now requested a Mandatory Reconsideration.

Hope this helps,

Andy
  • gowe
    Options
    @Cartini
    hi Andy thankyou for your response this is very helpful, I will definitely look at the benefits and work website it sounds very helpful. 
    I too have to hold things like the sink when brushing my teeth I did not realise this could be classed as an aid. 

I really hope you are successful with your mandatory reconsideration, you have been through a lot. 

I have put off applying for years but my family told me to now as I am entitled to help but could not cope with these assessments and it was awful if I’m honest but on to the next I go for the mandatory I only scored 4 points in total. 

Good luck Andy 

• Cartini
    Options
    tomm said:
    Cartini said:
    gowe said:
    Hi @poppy123456

Hi Gowe,

I have a spinal condition that causes severe pain if I stand up / walk for too long.  When I can`t stand when preparing food, I alternate between a chair in the kitchen and a chair in the dining room.  Sitting down in either room means I can`t use a chopping knife as well as I can standing up; I`ve cut myself a few times when sat down.  I emphasised these points in PIP2.  This covers "aid" and "safety".

I`ve had grab bars installed in the toilet and bathroom. I use the toilet one to help me sit / stand and the bathroom one to shower safely (whithout a grab bar I couldn`t shower safely).  This covers "aid" and "safety".

When I clean my teeth, I have to hold the sink, the bath or the towel rail as an aid.

I, too, use a dosette box; it`s a 7 day, 3 compartments a day box.  I use my mobile phone to set alarms to remind me to take my medication (I had a fractured skull / brain injury a few years ago).  Both are classed as an aid.

When I get up in the morning, I use a litter picker to pick my clothes off the floor so I can get dressed. The litter picker is classed as an aid.

These are just a few of the items that I use that cover a number of activities.

If you haven`t already, look at the website "Benefits and work".  There`s a very good forum there with valuable advice.  If you join (£20 for a year (sometimes reduced to £15)),  you can download invaluable documentation that will help you see your "challenges" from a different angle.

I joined "Benefits and work"; the information there and the forum here helped me enough to gain enhanced Daily Living.  I only got 4 for mobility, which I have now requested a Mandatory Reconsideration.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Maybe the KEY argument is HOW LONG YOU ARE ABLE TO STAND /WALK before the pain  threshold  limit means you must sit/lie down ? It's similar to  toilet or bathing, no adaptations or grab rails *Swiss grab rails for BATH) = NO DL Even if you have stage4 OA in knees and 1 THUMB , They may expect raised toilet seats, and other appliances that may or not help you get dressed or undressed,  but if you don't need them you somehow don't need DL , PIGEON HOLING PEOPLE IS THIS NOT?

Hi Tomm,  I`m sorry, but I`m not sure what you are trying to say. 

I provided, for Gowe, a very brief summary of how I completed my PIP2.  I went into much, much more detail than I have provided here in that I provided distances, times, effects and recovery (54 pages worth for the whole PIP2 covering responses to the activities, evidence such photocopies of prescriptions, photographs of aids, diagrams of the human body to show where pain starts, where it spreads & how it impacts me and a diary of "a week in the life of Andy".  This resulted in a paper based assessment where the assessor has completely turned a blind eye to all the details I provided for mobility.  In her report she even said the opposite to written information I sent it (apparently this is common).

I`m more than happy with the Daily Living component, I can now afford to turn my "over the bath" shower into either a wet room or a walk in shower (decision will be made after I`ve had a few quotes), put a bannister rail on the stairs and purchase a number of items that will make it easier for me to move around the home.

Andy

• Cartini
    Options
    gowe said:
    @Cartini
    hi Andy thankyou for your response this is very helpful, I will definitely look at the benefits and work website it sounds very helpful. 
    I too have to hold things like the sink when brushing my teeth I did not realise this could be classed as an aid. 

I really hope you are successful with your mandatory reconsideration, you have been through a lot. 

I have put off applying for years but my family told me to now as I am entitled to help but could not cope with these assessments and it was awful if I’m honest but on to the next I go for the mandatory I only scored 4 points in total. 

Good luck Andy 

Hi Gowe,

Thank you.

I work in IT (only 3 days a week) and it never occurred to me that I could apply for any benefits while working.  I was pointed in the direction of PIP by a very close friend who has Parkinsons, and the rest is history.

Good luck with your MR
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,926 Championing
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Friends are really wonderful aren't they @Cartini. They are often aware of things before we are aware of them ourselves. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. How are you at the moment? I hope you are well but please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything  :)
  • gowe
    Options
    @Cartini

Thankyou so much for your time to help me with my question I really appreciate it. 
    I’m glad you got the help you need and that you are entitled to, you certainly have a good explanation. 

Good luck with yours too 

take care