Do we need more Miles Without Stiles? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do we need more Miles Without Stiles?

Options
Alex_Alumni
Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2022 in Coffee lounge
The UK's many National Parks are stunning landscapes, and an ideal holiday or get away destination for many, but they aren't always the most easy places to access and explore. 

Among their many future plans, by 2030, English National Parks have a vision that: 
Everyone can discover the rich variety of England's natural and historic environment, and have the chance to value them as places for escape, adventure, enjoyment, inspiration and reflection, and a source of national pride and identity. They will be recognised as fundamental to our prosperity and well-being.
I'm sure that's a similar aim for any Welsh or Scottish National Parks too!

With that in mind I wondered if anyone had heard of 'Miles Without Stiles'? It was launched in the Lake District about 5 years ago, and has since been taken on board by other parks including the South Downs, the Yorkshire Dales, the Peak District, and Dartmoor.

It’s aim was to create a selection of barrier-free, accessible routes which could be documented and shared with people with access needs, opening up the countryside for everyone.

After a bit of a google, I found that almost all these routes had maps provided, though they were not always in an accessible format. Comparatively, there's not too much choice if you are looking for a fully wheelchair accessible walk, but it's a start :)

I'd like to know:

Do you think more initiatives like this are needed to improve access to more rural parts of the UK? 

Is there a danger that creating better access might change the landscape too much?

Would you benefit from better access to the countryside?

Do you feel like more time in the great outdoors is fundamental to our prosperity and wellbeing?
Online Community Coordinator
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We live next to a farm and woodland, a couple of years ago they put gates next to all the stiles (there are 3 of them), the downside of that being that motorbikes now have unwanted access.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That sounds frustrating @woodbine do you know if the motorbikes are from the farm, or elsewhere?
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn't happen too often thankfully, probably people from the village.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I see @woodbine it's not something I'd fully considered while writing earlier, but access for all, does indeed mean all!
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know if I speak for people in general, I assume not since many people live in the city and are perfectly happy there, but I think time in the countryside is vital for my wellbeing. I couldn't imagine not being able to spend time there. Going for a walk in the town is not the same for me.

It seems a good idea to allow access for as many people as possible but as @woodbine pointed out needs to be done in a way that doesn't attract unwanted visitors.

One thing I would say, is that there are a couple of footpaths near us which actually have been upgraded and are suitable for mobility scooters/chairs but I have not seen a single person in one using the paths. I guess there could be several reasons for this like lack of publicity or peoples lack of confidence.

We have a bit of a problem with bikes as well in the local sports field and footpaths around the farm where we walk. I believe the bikes can actually be seized and crushed but police presence is almost non-existent so they aren't taking much of a risk really!
  • Alex_Alumni
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @66Mustang thanks, it's true walking in town isn't the same, but that's not to say it's not positive. Perhaps the closeness to nature, greenery, the landscape, whatever it is that we experience, just does more to help us feel better.

I think lack of awareness, or perhaps a lack of easy or accessible transport to these paths might restrict who can use them? 

There's an interesting debate in here somewhere about spaces for communities, and how we value them :)
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Alex_Scope I don’t dislike walking in the town, it can be quite pleasant, but I think the noise, crowds and pollution not being there in the countryside make it more calming and relaxing. Also, you can let the dog off the lead which you can’t do in the town! In truth though if I was to just stick with either one of the environments I think I’d miss the other!

That is a good point as to why people perhaps don’t use the paths. I imagine for someone who has a physical health condition or disability there is a lot of planning and work required to get out into the countryside and maybe it’s just too much stress for something that is supposed to be relaxing.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    @66Mustang that's right, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't think walking in town is pleasant, but yes, the crowds, noise, and pollution can put people 'on edge' even if they don't realise it. Like suddenly realising your body is tensed up.

I know what you mean about missing places. As with anything in life too much of the same thing can leave you feeling a bit stilted. 

There have been times where I've wanted to go on a tree trail or visit a sculpture park or something, and find there would be steps, or difficult terrain. Or I just wouldn't feel like driving there, as it's sometimes a trigger for anxiety.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.