Pip Assessment. I received a text confirming the details today — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment. I received a text confirming the details today

Options
shellbell20
shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Guys, Just an update, I received a text for a PIP assessment via telephone today. I did ask for a home visit due to anxiety, but a phone call is probably better. I was surprised I received a text on Bank Holiday, well more than surprised as I applied towards the end of January with an online form and I expected to wait much longer. Seems Work Capability is behind PIP, although I did not apply for that until February due to the UC not referring me as they should have.  My anxiety is through the roof about the call, I am panicking already and it's not until the 16th of May, but that is part of my disability, so how i will get through it without having a panic attack I don't know.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Home assessments haven't started back yet. They sometimes work back holidays and weekends due to backlogs, which is why you probably had a text message today.
    If you have someone that can be with you during the assessment it may help with any anxiety you have. During the assessment you should avoild answering questions with just a yes or no, try to give as much detail as possible.
    It can last anywhere from 20-120 minutes sometimes longer. have a drink ready next to you, will also help. Make sure your phone is fully charge, if using a mobile. They may not ring exactly to time, especially if they have an assessment before you so bear that in mind also on the day.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Home assessments haven't started back yet. They sometimes work back holidays and weekends due to backlogs, which is why you probably had a text message today.
    If you have someone that can be with you during the assessment it may help with any anxiety you have. During the assessment you should avoild answering questions with just a yes or no, try to give as much detail as possible.
    It can last anywhere from 20-120 minutes sometimes longer. have a drink ready next to you, will also help. Make sure your phone is fully charge, if using a mobile. They may not ring exactly to time, especially if they have an assessment before you so bear that in mind also on the day.
    I take it that when you mean a drink next to me doesn't mean alcoholic?  lol.  I'm just glad it's not video as I can't bear to be on video it causes such a severe panic attack with such low self-esteem and can't bear to see my reflection.   I worry that my mind will go blank, it does all the time, lights are on but no one is home kind of scenario, that too is part of my disability, hard to focus, concentrate and remember so perhaps I need to make notes. You would think a conversation with questions and answers would be straightforward, but when my anxiety kicks in then everything on my mind goes and what I want to relay never gets out, it's like having temporary amnesia but I think its the way my brain operates when its under pressure.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I meant a soft drink, not alcoholic. Some people find it helpful to write notes, personally I don’t find that helpful because it just confuses me more. I prefer to just answer the questions. 
    It perfectly normal to feel anxious about the assessment. It’s stressful talking about our conditions and how we are affected.
    If you kept a copy of the form (you should have) then have a read of that before the assessment takes place. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wish you the best for the assessment @shellbell20, it's normal to be worried about them and I'm sorry to hear that the anticipation of it has had this impact on you. However hopefully any preparation you may do beforehand, such as making notes, will help somewhat on the day and enable you to say what you want to say :) 

Let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    I wish you the best for the assessment @shellbell20, it's normal to be worried about them and I'm sorry to hear that the anticipation of it has had this impact on you. However hopefully any preparation you may do beforehand, such as making notes, will help somewhat on the day and enable you to say what you want to say :) 

Let us know how you get on.
    I will indeed let you know how I get on and share my knowledge, even if it helps just one person.  Perhaps we could do a spreadsheet of claims?  Who applied, when, where, was it a telephone, video or in-person assessment, and what questions were asked. Just a thought that might help people on the forum. :)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi @shellbell20

Thanks for sharing your idea with us. We appreciate all feedback, even if it is not always actioned. 

You sound really supportive and it is people like you who make the community the supportive and friendly space it is, thank you.

Good luck and I will look forward to hearing how you get on  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Hi @shellbell20

Thanks for sharing your idea with us. We appreciate all feedback, even if it is not always actioned. 

You sound really supportive and it is people like you who make the community the supportive and friendly space it is, thank you.

Good luck and I will look forward to hearing how you get on  :)
    Awww thanks that really nice of you to say, it put a smile on my face. I just believe whatever obstacles that are thrown in life we can share our experiences to help others going through the same. It's a cold world out there without help and someone to listen. I shared my experiences with immigration when I was an immigrant in the USA, I am now doing it with my employment tribunal case, sharing knowledge about ET1s, Preliminary Hearings and such. I am very willing to share any knowledge about PIP or work capability assessments if it helps others once I have my interviews. 
  • Kendo861
    Kendo861 Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    It's alright for people to say don't just answer yes or no, if you've got memory problems these assessors say you have good memory
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Notes can be written before an assessment so you can refer to them. It's far better to give as much information as possible so they can get a full picture of exactly how your conditions affect you.
    Just saying yes or no is perfect opportunity for them to twist it. For example, if you were asked if you can prepare a meal and your answer is yes, but... they could take the yes as you can do that activity.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.