Intro — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Intro

tk00
tk00 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi Everyone. I'm Tiam, a 21 yr old guy currently a distance-learning computing student. I have High-functioning autism/aspergers and just thought I get to know some people here on this forum who share the same interests as me. 

I am mainly into aviation/aircraft and good at remembering things, especially small details. Any of you who can understand plz feel free to introduce yourselves or just send a message. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    A warm welcome to the community from me too @tk00 :) How are you doing today? 

Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself and your interests. We have many other members who also have autism here on the community. You can find our category for discussions relating to autism and neurodiversity here. If you'd like to talk about your interests more casually, the coffee lounge would also be a great place to visit. 

I don't know much about aviation or aircrafts. Do you have any interesting facts to share? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @tk00 Welcome to this great group, it's good to have you with us.
    Just out of interest is tk00 anything to do with aviation.
    My nephew loves trains and escalators he also has a brilliant memory as regards train routs/timetable/stations.
    It's very cleaver.
    Hope you get chance to have a look around and find some one on the site to share your passion of aviation.
    When you are ready try making a thread/comment yourself about a certain plane your interested in.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger

Hi @tk00. Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today?

Thanks for sharing some information with us about yourself. It is always great to get to know our community members and I am sure other community members will share similar interests as you.

Is there anything about computing you enjoy, in particular? I am intrigued! It is particularly great to hear you recognise your own strengths, well done. I can understood the high-functioning autism/aspergers as I am also autistic  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • tk00
    @L_Volunteer
    HI and thx for ur message. What interests me in Computing is that it explains how technology is evolving as well as everything that's being done behind the scenes that we can't see. Defo not as difficult as business, law, medicine or dentistry. 
  • tk00
    @L_Volunteer

A strength is that I'm good at remembering things like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, also can be good at solving problems .

Most of my weaknesses are and have been related to my autism like quite poor social skills in some areas, criticising myself and etc... But I guess other than that everything else seems to be ok.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger

Hey @tk00. No worries at all, it is the very least you deserve. Thank you for your response.

Oh, yes, how technology is evolving sounds really fascinating! Which fact has stuck with you the most about how technology is evolving? I personally find changes from projectors to PCs in most rooms really interesting.

I am sure you know much more about computing than I though. I am really looking forward to hearing more about what interests you and unpicking your knowledge a little more. I find technology interesting but not a strength of mine, unfortunately.

Yes, I was really impressed with how you were able to identify your strengths in one of your earlier posts. I wanted to highlight this.

I can hear that quite poor social skills in some areas and criticising yourself etc are difficult for you. How are you managing these at the moment? 

It is really positive to hear that other than that everything else seems to be ok  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • tk00
    edited May 2022
    @L_Volunteer
    I'm at the moment in my first year of the Computing course. What really interests me in the subject is how companies are using IT systems to solve certain problems and make decisions for improvement. Also using programs such as Word, Excel really do fascinate me since we no longer have to rely on just writing on paper or using typewriters. Technology is rlly transforming my life honestly icl.

I see u also mentioned me having quite poor social skills. Last few days have been quite difficult for me cuz of something that happened after a party I went to like everyone was then criticising me cuz of how I was treating them when I knew I had good intentions.

I'm happy to discuss further with u but would prefer to message on Snapchat or Insta (if u have it) since it makes communication much easier for me. (removed by moderator- personal information)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tk00 it's great to see you enjoying your time on the community! :)

I hope you don't mind, but I've had to remove your Snapchat and Insta username/handle, as we don't allow our members to share personal information on the forum. It's to help keep everyone safe online, and you can read more about this in our community house rules

If you've got any questions, or something doesn't make sense, please do let me know.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.