Pension Savings Credit / Attendance Allowance

1967Rosebud
1967Rosebud Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2022 in Benefits and income
Hi there, hope this finds you all well. I’m hoping someone can help after hours of web searching! I helped my parents apply for Pension Credit back in October 2021. It was approved and they receive £5 a week of savings credit (Not sure if that is still classed as pension credit?) The application was made with my Dad as claimant 1 with my Mum 2nd on the form. It was then suggested that we apply for Attendance Allowance in my Mums name as she has numerous health issues. This was approved in January 2022. We were advised by pension credit that if her application for AA was successful their pension credit payment may qualify for an additional premium of around £60 a week. Assuming this would happen automatically (and hasn’t) I’m now wondering… because the Pension Credit application was done with my Dads name first on the form is this why they won’t be entitled to it? Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    edited May 2022
    It makes no difference who is the lead claimant on the PC claim.

It sounds as if the adviser was referring to a Severe Disability Premium. However this is not payable unless your dad is also getting a disability benefit.

Even if they are both getting a disability benefit the SDP is not added automatically, PC need to be contacted.

Your dad could claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after mum. He will not be paid any CA but will be told he has an underlying entitlement. If he then contacts PC he will get a carer premium added.