If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bravery / Courage

Options
JustPete
JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
What is the bravest or most courageous thing you have done yourself or that you think somebody else has done,?

Why do you consider it brave or courageous?
I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the discussion starter @JustPete

I once travelled on the Tube in London by myself, and on foot. It was only one stop, but I did it without getting lost, falling over, or getting stuck :)

Navigating transport is easier for me in my wheelchair, until I come up against barriers to access of course! This trip to London required me to be on my feet, but I had always used a taxi otherwise, as I don't especially do well with escalators. 

The escalator was the scariest part, but I focused on the step on front of me, and I made it to my train home! It's not something I'll repeat anytime soon, but I know I can do it if there's no other option...
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    Although you might not have meant it (?) focussing on the 'step in front of me' is an analogy that is so important when we need to summon up bravery/courage.
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Ah yes, thanks @JustPete you've made me sound much wiser than I am! :)

That's a great analogy I agree. 

What about yourself?
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,404 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done I hate escalators, don't mind going up but hate going down. Rather use a lift if I can
  • Alex_Alumni
    edited May 2022
    Options
    That's great @Teddybear12 you both must've been quite nervous, but worked together and trusted each other :)

And thanks @Sandy_123 same here, but frustratingly the lifts aren't always working!
    Scope

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.