UC and reporting expenses — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and reporting expenses

Options
mjh2222
mjh2222 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited May 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all

I am self employed and drive for Uber and Amazon and also get UC with LCWRA.

I use my car for the jobs however it needs repairs, it needs new brake pads and cambelt.

If I pay for these at the garage can I put all car repairs down as expenses and that will not be taken into account when I report my gross profit for the month?

Thanks,
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Read this
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide/how-to-report-your-earnings-from-self-employment

Assuming the car is a normal car, the answer is, as I understand it, no. You can only claim expenses based on the business mileage travelled
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mjh2222
    Options
    Hi there

Thank you for your reply, I just read the link and I am still unsure. 

Because it says "You must report your self-employed income accurately. Only report expenses that are directly related to your business."

I use the car (its a normal car) to work in, and if I do not get these things fixed (cambelt and brake pads) there will not be a car to work in?

I also work in normal clothes which I pay for, I did not realise I could put a monthly cost on clothing?  Is that just a reasonable average amount like £40-£60 per month?  That is what I spend anyway, I am learning what I can put down.

Thanks

• calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Options
    mjh2222 said:
    Thank you for your reply, I just read the link and I am still unsure. 

Because it says "You must report your self-employed income accurately. Only report expenses that are directly related to your business."

I use the car (its a normal car) to work in, and if I do not get these things fixed (cambelt and brake pads) there will not be a car to work in?
    The guidance seems clear to me that you can only claim expenses based on the mileage you drive of your car is an unadapted vehicle.
    Car, van or other motor vehicles
    If you use a car (including a mini-cab) for your business, you must only use only the flat rate to report its running costs.
    If you use a motorcycle, van or other motor vehicle designed mainly for business (such as a black cab) for your business you can choose either to:
    include the actual costs of buying and running it in your permitted expenses
    use the following flat rates

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mjh2222
    Options
    Hi

Ok thank you for your replies and information.

It is appreciated.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @mjh2222. It is the very least you deserve. Do you feel your question has been answered now? If you need any further clarification or would like any further support with anything, please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • calcotti
    Options
    It is the very least you deserve. 
    Deserve what?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @calcotti I think @L_Volunteer was just acknowledging how nice it feels when a query you have is heard, taken on board, and answered. Another way of phrasing it might be "it's the least we can do".

It can feel disheartening when we don't get a response, and it's a courtesy we're all entitled to when asking for help- especially in an online forum, where it's not always easy to know if your question has been seen :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, you are right @Alex_Scope. That is indeed what I meant. Thanks for clarifying. Does this answer your question @calcotti:)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • calcotti
    Options
    The reason I raised it is that I think we should really be careful of using the word deserve in respect of anything to do with benefits.

There are rules that determine benefit entitlement.

Whether or not certain individuals or groups 'deserve' benefit support is a political policy matter and I therefore don't find it helpful to use deserve (to me it is also reminiscent of the Victorian notion of the 'deserving poor' ).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have to agree with calcotti here. In my opinion, no one "deserves" benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Alicewillow said: Don’t think she meant it in relation to benefit anyway, I read it to mean that getting answers to their questions is the least they deserve, it’s the least anyone deserves 💕
    Agreed, just wanted to explain why I queried it. (I still don’t like ‘deserve’.)
    Playing devils advocate, don’t we all deserve the things we are entitled to? 
    Unfortunately there are many people entitled to things which I don’t think they deserve - but if we start that conversation it will get very political!
  • L_Volunteer
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Thanks all for raising this really important point. Yes, I didn't mean "deserve" in the context you took it @calotti.

As @Alex_Scope and I have both clarified, it was meant in the sense that everyone deserves to be heard and supported no matter what they are going through  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.