Reasonable adjustments for late diagnosis in education — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustments for late diagnosis in education

Options
LostSpark
LostSpark Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, (this is cross-posted from education, I'm not sure if that's allowed but I'm a bit desperate right now)

Just wanted to post on here to see if anyone has had similar experiences. I was diagnosed with ADHD 6 months ago, and I'm in my final year of university (part-time). My university obviously put reasonable adjustments in place, and they've made a HUGE difference in my last module. Unfortunately, the module I did last year was 4 marks off of a higher degree classification that I ideally need for my career, which will stop me from achieving it. I spoke to my university and asked if I could appeal it, and I was told under no circumstances am I able to. However, at the time of doing this module they were made aware I was on the waitlist for an ADHD diagnosis, but they said they couldn't do anything, nor was I able to submit an extenuating circumstance form.

I feel like this is unfair, as I didn't get the support I needed to put myself on the same level as a neurotypical student, despite struggling significantly, so it seems only right that this should be taken into consideration. My late diagnosis was due to long NHS waitlists. I've noticed a lot of universities now offer a retrospective disability appeal procedure as a reasonable adjustment for students who are diagnosed late so that their overall degree classification is not impacted.

Despite this, my university will not budge and has been quite patronising, telling me not to take it further as I still have "good grades" and tell me I should be happy with it. However, again, this 4 points which I likely would have achieved if I had the same level of support in place is very likely to impact my future career prospects. They've told me I can complain but it's unlikely to go anywhere. I've discussed this with a few people who seem to be of the opinion it falls under indirect discrimination due to them having a blanket policy of no appeals after 28 days even if you are waiting for diagnosis, but I'm not so sure it would fall under this.

I just wondered if anyone had been through a similar thing or perhaps had some advice/words of wisdom or encouragement to offer?

Thank you

Comments

• LostSpark
    Options
    Hi, 

Just wanted to post on here to see if anyone has had similar experiences. I was diagnosed with ADHD 6 months ago, and I'm in my final year of university (part-time). My university obviously put reasonable adjustments in place, and they've made a HUGE difference in my last module. Unfortunately, the module I did last year was 4 marks off of a higher degree classification that I ideally need for my career, which will stop me from achieving it. I spoke to my university and asked if I could appeal it, and I was told under no circumstances am I able to. However, at the time of doing this module they were made aware I was on the waitlist for an ADHD diagnosis, but they said they couldn't do anything, nor was I able to submit an extenuating circumstance form.

I feel like this is unfair, as I didn't get the support I needed to put myself on the same level as a neurotypical student, despite struggling significantly, so it seems only right that this should be taken into consideration. My late diagnosis was due to long NHS waitlists. I've noticed a lot of universities now offer a retrospective disability appeal procedure as a reasonable adjustment for students who are diagnosed late so that their overall degree classification is not impacted.

Despite this, my university will not budge and has been quite patronising, telling me not to take it further as I still have "good grades" and tell me I should be happy with it. However, again, this 4 points which I likely would have achieved if I had the same level of support in place is very likely to impact my future career prospects. They've told me I can complain but it's unlikely to go anywhere. I've discussed this with a few people who seem to be of the opinion it falls under indirect discrimination due to them having a blanket policy of no appeals after 28 days even if you are waiting for diagnosis, but I'm not so sure it would fall under this.

I just wondered if anyone had been through a similar thing or perhaps had some advice/words of wisdom or encouragement to offer?

Thank you
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi @LostSpark thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community, I'm very sorry to read about the barriers you're facing at university. If you feel strongly about challenging this decision I would encourage you to visit Citizens Advice for guidance on taking action about discrimination in education

You might also like to have a look at the office of the independent adjudicatoran independent body set up to review student complaints about higher education providers in England and Wales. Our service is free for students. They may be able to offer further advice and support.

All this is bound to have an impact on your mental health, so if you feel you need support you can always get in touch with Mind as they have plenty of helpful resources. 

To make it easier for our members to share their thoughts all in one place, I've merged your other thread, and I hope that's okay.

If you feel we can help support you further, please let us know, and keep us updated with how you get on :)

Alex 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • LostSpark
    Options
    Hi @Alex_Scope. Thank you for the links to get me started - it definitely feels like a very overwhelming process, so it's nice to have a starting point for some further advice. I definitely feel strongly about challenging the decision. Even if it doesn't help me, I'm hopeful it may benefit someone else at the university who perhaps wouldn't feel as willing/able to challenge the decision. There are such long waitlists for ADHD and other diagnoses so I'd imagine there are more people in my situation. 

Once again thanks for the links, hopefully I can get the ball rolling :)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's okay @LostSpark I'm glad that the links I've shared can help get the ball rolling, and I hope they do help. 

It's beyond frustrating to be at the mercy of the long waiting lists, and I'm sure you are certainly not alone in being impacted.

I hope at least the community can help with emotional support, or in helping you find other members with shared experiences. Apart from sharing information and advice, we are here to support you, and to provide a listening ear :)

Take care this evening, and I hope you can work with your university to find a positive outcome!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Beech
    Beech Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Lost Spark, I am sorry to hear of your situation. It is certainly a minefield and you have my empathy.
    I would steer away from the complaints route because they are generally only a tick box exercise focusing on process and not the issue that affects your life choices. 
    Your disability is needs based and not diagnosis based (not least for the problems that you highlight). A wheelchair ramp is provided to support a need not a diagnosis, for example.
    Universities would have you believe that you need a diagnosis to get reasonable adjustments but this is not so.

Can you look at your disability and how it has affected you? Can you look at whether you have communicated any challenges you have with the uni?
    Don't worry about not having been diagnosed earlier, that is a failing of educational institutions you have accessed in the past 😔
    In Education,  reasonable adjustments should put you in a better than equal situation.
    I woukd advise you to look at what kind of paper trail you have. Ask a lawyer (free consultation) as to how extenuating circumstances are regulated. (I believe determined by the examination body for your course).
    Stay with it, if you can, although I know that it is unbelievably difficult. 
    I must go now. Best wishes 🙂

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.