Volunteer works for PIP recipients — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Volunteer works for PIP recipients

saman
saman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone;

For the last couple of years, I have received PIP due to some physical disabilities. Nevertheless, I have started to feel a lot of depression and anxiety, as my social contacts are very limited. 

I am now thinking of taking part in some volunteer social activities to feel valuable in society. However, I am afraid my PIP would be cut if I start working (even if it is non-paid work). There are a lot of rumors about it and I can not find the right source of information. I thought I may get some advice and support from this community.

Some background about me:

I am a trained mathematician with a PhD in statistics. I have been living in the UK with a refugee title since 2019. I also have work permit in the UK.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards;
/S.

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    PIP isn't about your ability to work, people claim PIP and work. However, you do need to be careful that the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    hello @sonan and welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

It's normal to worry about these sort of things but your PIP won't be impacted by voluntary work or work of any kind. As mentioned above though, it's worth considering whether the work you will be doing would contradict the reasons for which you are claiming PIP.

Volunteering is a great way to gain some experience and build confidence and feel better about yourself, do you have any idea what sort of volunteer work you would want to do? You said social activities, but I'm wodnering what kind you mean :) 

Also, do you receive any support at all to manage your depression and anxiety?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • saman
    saman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi,
    PIP isn't about your ability to work, people claim PIP and work. However, you do need to be careful that the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP.

Hi;

This is exactly why I am confused, as I can not predict how the "contradiction" between my volunteer work and the reason why I receive PIP is determined. For instance, I receive PIP due to my cancer (which affects all my physical activities). But that does not mean I am unable to do anything. There are ups and downs, but eventually, I am willing to do something even if it causes some pain. Doing so, I hope I can feel better mentally.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Remember that PIP only looks at specific activities. Remember too that it looks at how you are on the majority of days.
    At the moment you do not know how doing work will affect you. You only need to tell PIP if after several months it is clear that your health has improved and the difficulties you experience have reduced
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.