Employing a PA - question about wages and direct payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employing a PA - question about wages and direct payments

Options
Ani246
Ani246 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I’d be really grateful if there’s anyone out there who’s been in a similar situation who can answer my question.

My adult daughter has just received a card for direct payments to employ a PA. The hourly rate stated in her support plan is much lower than the hourly rate the PA she wants to employ charges. Is she allowed to pay the higher rate, knowing this will mean she will receive less hours than stated in her support plan? She feels she will get more benefit from this experienced person she knows in fewer hours.

The general idea as I understand it is to give an individual more independence to choose the support they receive. However we don’t want to do this and then find her support plan is changed to fewer hours and less funding.
Tagged:

Comments

• JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Ani246 & daughter!  If you have yet to be welcomed to our community let me welcome you - I hope you will find info and discussions on here that will assist both you and your daughter.

Everything you have outlined makes sense.  I will outline my own situation as some kind of guidance.

I live alone & I require 24hour support.  It is written in my care-plan.  I require 'well-being' support'.  It is written in my care-plan.  I must stick to my care-plan. I must use my DP in accordance with my care-plan.

This can be extremely frustrating.  I spent a long time fighting to get an increase, citing the reality of being unable to recruit carers, or retain the ones I had, on the budget set out in that care plan.  I, like your daughter, really need continuity of carers.  Finally, I did get an increase because a duty-social-worker 'got it/understood'.

My advice, frustrating as it is, is to get your social worker back.   I would first try to get increased funding otherwise your daughter looses a very good PA and your daughter REQUIRES continuity.

If that is rejected then you may need to try a different tactic.  Come back to me/us if you require further advice.

You can put @JustPete in a response so i can see how you are getting on.

I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Ani246
    Ani246 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much @JustPete for your reply and advice. It’s so helpful to hear from someone in a similar situation and you’re right PAs are simply not paid enough. I’m not sure our council will pay any more as I’ve been told any difference would need to be paid by us, but like you say it might be worth another try.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ani246 definitely try again - don't go straight to your own pocket.  At the end of the day we experienced a lot during the pandemic, and were promised a lot post-pandemic.  Your daughter deserves the right kind of support and, in my opinion, should get it.

Hate to say it but just keep fighting! 
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.