CMHT MEETING. What's a PA? Will it be the same person, or a different one each time? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CMHT MEETING. What's a PA? Will it be the same person, or a different one each time?

Options
charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
I had a meeting with CMHT and my support worker within team spoke of a referral to social services regarding a getting me PA. What is a PA will it be someone professional or an agency. I would want the same person as I have trust issues and major problems with meeting or engaging with new people. Can anyone give me any advice
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @charlie79 :) How do you feel the meeting went? 

Getting a personal assistant (PA) sounds positive, though I understand why you might feel worried about being unsure over who they'll be, and how it'll work. 

This isn't something I've been through myself, but I was wondering whether you might find our page on hiring a PA for help at home helpful. Perhaps you could give that a read, and let us know whether there's anything you're still unsure about? 

You could also try speaking to your support worker to see whether they're able to offer any insight on this. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    @charlie79 hi there!

How are you getting on regarding getting a PA? Did you manage to speak with your support worker?

I guess I just wanted to add that PA's can be great.  Yes, it takes alot to allow somebody into your life, yes you need to put trust in them (with or without trust issues) but the benefits can be great!

Good luck!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • charlie79
    Options
    Hello sorry for delay if I had a social worker assessment to see if I qualify for PA would this come under change of circumstance.  I'm on old legacy ESA/SDP Haven't been migrated
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    charlie79 said:
    Hello sorry for delay if I had a social worker assessment to see if I qualify for PA would this come under change of circumstance.  I'm on old legacy ESA/SDP Haven't been migrated

No, it's got nothing at all to do with any of your benefits. I'm confused why you think it would.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    charlie79 said:
     I would want the same person as I have trust issues and major problems with meeting or engaging with new people. Can anyone give me any advice
    Just bear in mind that if you had the same PA allocated, they would still be entitled to holidays and there could be times when they are unwell to work and are off sick, so during these times you would be allocated someone else or be without. 
  • charlie79
    Options
    Hi Poppy because im on legacy and never heard of a PA or had social servivce assessment so i went on here for advice. They said its social funding so I didnt know if it came out my benefit haxd to apply for something connected what or would it come under change of circumstance. Just nervous at moment and cmht and support system for support workers are changing and on here said PAs could be a private company all confusing. 
  • charlie79
    Options
    MarkM88 thankyou for info on holidays and Poppy you've anwered my question Thankyou I can rest not change of circumstance
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If they agree to you needing some support and you have a PA then you will likely need to have a financial assessment. From this is will determine whether or not you need to pay anything towards the support you have. Most people need to pay something, so you should expect this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.