Let’s Play Fair and make playgrounds inclusive — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let’s Play Fair and make playgrounds inclusive

Options
Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

Let’s Play Fair and make playgrounds inclusive 

Today we launch our brand new campaign, Let’s Play Fair, to make playgrounds inclusive for disabled children.

Our playgrounds are places where memories are made and where children can be themselves.  Yet many disabled children can’t enjoy their local playground because it isn’t designed for them. Leaving them and their families isolated and excluded.

Scope’s latest research shows that:

• Half of families with disabled children face accessibility problems with their local playground.
  • An alarming one in ten said their disabled child hurt themselves because of inaccessible equipment.
  • One in seven could not enjoy the playground as a family because siblings were unable to play together.

That’s why today, we’re launching our Let’s Play Fair campaign. Because it doesn’t have to be this way.

The Government has the power to fix this by investing in an inclusive playgrounds fund. We need your help in convincing Government this matters and you can be one of the first to be involved by signing our open letter. 

two children sat in a spinning bowl apparatus in a playground one is smiling while holding onto the other Overlaid is text that says Disabled children shouldnt be left out of playgrounds

But first we want to know, do you think playgrounds should be accessible to disabled children?

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is super important! Thanks @Ross_Scope for creating this thread. Yes, I absolutely do think playgrounds should be accessible to disabled children. Every child deserves the opportunity to enjoy the playground!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Rachel10876
    Rachel10876 Scope Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    Options
    Already signed this . x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great, thank you @Rachel10876 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If anyone's interested in helping to shape the campaign, you can find out how to get involved here :)
    You'll help shape our campaign for accessible play spaces, and be compensated £25 an hour for your time. So, if you're the parent of a disabled child, apply today. And if you know someone who is, send them the link!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It looks like a fab opportunity @Tori_Scope and certainly really important. Unfortunately, I'm not eligible as I'm not a parent of a disabled child. However, I wish everyone the best of luck with this campaign  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.