Is it unusual that I'm still receiving DLA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it unusual that I'm still receiving DLA?

Options
Siwheels73
Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, is it unusual that I am still VERY happily receiving DLA? Not that I want it, but I thought I might have received the dreaded letter from PIP by now? Perhaps there IS one good thing about COVID!
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are still quite a lot of claimants on DLA not yet transferred over. I can’t find the number at the moment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Merlin2728
    Merlin2728 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Siwheels73 I am also still on DLA, I am nor looking forward to going through that massive amount of paperwork again, it is just depressing reminding you how bad you are and what is wrong with you, I find it all so depressing. Hope it is an easy transfer or can anyone comment how it was for them please. Thank You
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,539 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Apparently you can be on DLA and PIP at the same time.
  • Merlin2728
    Options
    Even more confused now lol.

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,539 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

You can collect both PIP and DLA together 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Apparently you can be on DLA and PIP at the same time.

That's not correct. If someone is currently claiming DLA and they apply for PIP once a decision is made on the PIP the DLA will end.

You can collect both PIP and DLA together 

No you can't.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    Oh sorry my fault I was just being told this 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You need to be careful of the advice you give because a member could read that and then start a claim for PIP and may not be entitled and when a decision is then made on the PIP the DLA will end.
    The criteria for PIP and DLA are different and there will be some people still claiming DLA but may not be entitled to PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Merlin2728
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @Poppy123456 Thanks for clarifying this, that makes more sense đź‘Ť
  • calcotti
    Options
    calcotti said:
    There are still quite a lot of claimants on DLA not yet transferred over. I can’t find the number at the moment.
    I tried looking at the statistics and as far as I can tell there are still about 250,000 still to be transferred from DLA to PIP (but i may be wrong because i had some difficulty finding and interpreting them).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wasn’t fully transferred until 2021, mid-pandemic too which was very strange. I did prefer DLA for my lifetime award although I was awarded slightly higher on transferring over (I had to appeal and a DM overturned). This is why, as Poppy has stated, a person who is entitled to DLA may not be entitled to PIP. I didn’t get the choice although I always tell people to exercise caution when they choose to claim PIP.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Everybody born after 06/04/1948 who is still on DLA will eventually be required to apply for PIP if they wish to continue receiving benefit.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh sorry my fault I was just being told this 
    Hi @durhamjaide2001 that's okay, as our members have mentioned you cannot get DLA and PIP at the same time. When posting on the forum it's good to make sure the information you're sharing is accurate.

If you're not sure about something, try and make that as clear as possible if you can. Even if what you've posted is not meant to mislead others intentionally, it can get confusing for members to read. Does that make sense?

And @Siwheels73 I transferred to PIP quite some time ago now, and it was stressful at times and did feel like a bit of a mountain to conquer, but I had a lot of good support around me, which helped with working through the form and the assessment step by step. I know experiences vary @Merlin2728 so I hope both of you have a smooth transition when the time comes. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.