PIP APPEAL PAPER BASED — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP APPEAL PAPER BASED

Options
Bella123
Bella123 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
I received an email from the tribunal stating a decision had been made in regards to my appeal.
What I found strange was the email also stated that if I have any questions about the benefit to contact DWP. Could this imply I have won the appeal or am I just being forever hopeful?. Has anyone else had this? Thanks for reading. Stay safe everyone 👍

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did you request a paper hearing? HMCTS should have sent you a decision letter so you should receive that soon. If you don't then you can contact DWP as suggested by HMCTS.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bella123
    Options
    Hi Poppy123456 yes I asked for paperbased appeal as I am too anxious to leave my home
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Then i can't advise whether this is a good or bad thing. You can either wait for the decision letter that would have been sent by HMCTS or ring PIP and they should be able to tell you what the decision was.
    Were you aware that the majority of hearings are still by telephone, rather than in person?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Best wishes for the outcome @bella123 :) Please do keep us updated. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

I'm sorry to hear that your anxiety's making it difficult for you to leave your home at the moment. Are you receiving enough support for your mental health, and to help you manage daily tasks? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Bella123
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. I didn't have a telephone hearing as I find it difficult speaking to strangers.
    As for the question about support for mental health. All I can say is that was referred over a year ago and I have seen no one. That service is useless and not fit for purpose. 
    I will keep you updated in regards to my appeal. Stay safe
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Waiting lists can be really long unfortunately @Bella123 :( Have you spoken to your GP to touch base at all, and let them know that things are still difficult? You could also try seeing whether there are any non-NHS services in your area that may be of use by searching on the Hub of Hope.

• Bella123
    Options
    UDATE ON MY APPEAL
    I received my decision notice yesterday. I have awarded standard rates on both daily living and mobility components. This was a paper based appeal. I scored 0 points on assessment and 2 points at Mandatory Reconsideration. The Tribunal awarded 21 points. I am still in shock. I'm so glad I followed this site where you all encouraged people to keep fighting. Thank you 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That's great news @Bella123 :) Well done! Is that a weight off of your mind? 

• Bella123
    Options
    It is @Tori_Scope. It's been 17 long months from start to finish.Maybe my anxiety will settle down a bit now. Now I just have to wait for the money which again can take weeks. Are many people winning appeals do you know?🙏 I do hope so. I feel very lucky
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Bella123 hope you're enjoying your weekend, I just wanted to check in with you after your update, that's brilliant news :)

How have things been this week?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Bella123
    Options
    Hi Alex_Scope.
    Thank you for your comment. To be honest it is only just sinking in that I won the appeal especially as it was paper based at my request. I feel a lot better now knowing someone seemed to believe me about my limitations and the impact Mental Health can have on someone's daily life.
    I saw a post about the statistics 3-8 percent success rate the other day . I am no expert on these things but I would like to say to anyone with severe anxiety and depression and who cannot genuinely leave their home to go this route. If you can attend tribunal you will be judged that way. If you know what I mean  
    I wish everyone success in their bid to get what they are entitled to. Sorry long post. Have a lovely day 👍
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no need to apologise for your post @Bella123

I think it's fantastic that you're able to share what's happened, as well as how you feel now with the community, as it could have such a positive impact for someone reading in a similar situation :) 

You have a lovely day too!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Bella123 said:

I saw a post about the statistics 3-8 percent success rate the other day . I am no expert on these things but I would like to say to anyone with severe anxiety and depression and who cannot genuinely leave their home to go this route. If you can attend tribunal you will be judged that way. If you know what I mean  

Those stats are correct. However, i wouldn't advise anyone to choose paper based appeals purely because of the very low stats. At the moment most hearings are still through telephone. In the future when face to face appeals return if a claimant is unable to leave their home and they have to attend a hearing, this will not go against them.
  • RoRo2022
    RoRo2022 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @Bella123 I'm in the same position right now. My Appeal has been with the HMCTS for the tribunal for nearly 7 months probably due to it being a paperfile . I don't feel it's right to be penalised for not being able to attend a hearing or a telephone hearing.. I'm the same.. anxiety through the roof. Mental health and mobility issues but still fighting .. glad you got good news xxx fingers crossed I hear soon x currently at 17mths from application x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    RoRo2022 said:
    My Appeal has been with the HMCTS for the tribunal for nearly 7 months probably due to it being a paperfile. I don't feel it's right to be penalised for not being able to attend a hearing or a telephone hearing.
    Paper decisions are, I think, often quicker than hearings because they don't have to be programmed in to the hearing timetable. You shouldn't be penalised in that regard. As regards the much reduced positive outcome that isn't because you are penalised but because if there are inconsistencies the tribunal don't have the opportunity to discuss your difficulties with you. Having said that the handful of paper based appeals I previously submitted on others all resulted in the outcomes I wanted but the evidence has to be carefully presented. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.