Dropped Kerb. Are the council legally obliged to provide a dropped kerb to allow access to the PO? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dropped Kerb. Are the council legally obliged to provide a dropped kerb to allow access to the PO?

Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,471 Pioneering
I have been trying to get the local council to install a dropped kerb by the local post office for almost five years !
The reason being that, whilst the PO have put a dropped kerb on their side of the road (cross road junction with minor roads all round) - there is no matching dropped kerb on my side
To get my wheelchair across the junction involves me dropping on to the road over 100 yards further back up my road and negotiating parked cars and traffic for the distance from the nearest dropped kerb - to the junction and back again
The council have told me that due to finances -  they were unable to provide what I
need to get to the post office safely...Are the council legally obliged to provide a dropped kerb to allow me to access the PO ?
Any advice welcome



  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Good afternoon @Wibbles,

    I'm so sorry that no-one has been able to give the advice you asked for.  I must admit that I haven't had much success either It does seem strange that if there is a dropped kerb on one side of the street that there isn't one on the other side of the street. 

    Have you been in touch with your local councillor or MP.  The  guidance contained in the document Inclusive mobility (publishing.service.gov.uk) sets out the requirements on service providers and paragraph 3.13 deals with dropped kerbs. If you haven't already done so you might want to consider contacting your MP and point out that the Council/ Highways authority are not complying with the requirements set out in this document and see whether they can help to resolve the situation.
    Online Community Adviser

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,471 Pioneering
    edited August 2022

    My local town council/councillor have now passed me back to the county council - who orginally rejected my request - I have written more strongly to them - informing them that THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACCIDENTS AND INJURIES CAUSED BY THEIR REFUSAL TO FIT A DROPPED KERB - FORCING WHEELCHAIR USERS TO NEGOTIATE PARKED CARS IN THE ROAD FOR 100 YARDS PLUS IN ANY DIRECTION"
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 10,497 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure they are legally obliged to do what you are asking (which seems perfectly reasonable) As above I would bye pass the councillors and speak to you M.P
    Seasons greetings to one and all 🎄🎅🏻🌲
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,471 Pioneering
    The county council have responded with....

    "******* Road along with several other locations along ****** Avenue are already in our drop kerb folder. This folder is kept in case of any funding we may receive from the government to undertake this type of work.

    The other option is to contact your local County Councillor, as they can apply for Small Improvement Schemes with in their area and this type of work may fall in to that category."

    Doesn't the county coucillor work for the county council ?
    This doesn't exactly fill me with hope that this will EVER be done ...
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for your update @Wibbles. I can hear your frustration caused by this response. Hopefully, someone else will have some further ideas! In the meantime, I just want to say we hear you and are here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.