Universal credit is a joke — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit is a joke

rayrar80
rayrar80 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
I was placed on universal credit due to a change in circumstances, i was on old style esa support group and sdp, im on the basic amount of universal credit as they say they need to verify the benefits i was on and in my journal i am being asked for a fit note, has anyone experienced this before and how long does it take them to verify the old benefits?? my nerves are gone with worrying.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    It can sometimes take a while for the LCWRA to be added to your claim. When did you claim UC? no one is automatically placed onto it.
    When you first claim UC even when transferring from ESA they always ask for a fit note.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rayrar80
    I was given a month to apply for universal credit and applied on the 28th of april.
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2022
    Are you one of the ones that started managed migration? Did you receive a letter?
    Your LCWRA element should be added to your first statement when you receive it at the end of this month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rayrar80
    Yes thats what it is, i reported i was moving home and a week or so later i recieved a letter saying i needed to claim universal credit. I made the claim online and 2 days later they had me in the job center and took photo copies of my benefit letters that show what i was recieving and i was told things need verifying, ive heard nothing since.
  • poppy123456
    Then it doesn't sound like managed migration. It sounds like moving to a different local Authority prompted the move if you needed to claim for help with any rent. 
    The areas that are being invited to apply are Bolton and Medway, 500 people are being transferred across.
    UC is paid monthly and your first payment is 1 month and 6 days after you first claimed. Your first payment will be 4th June and your statement will be the end of this month. In the statement it will tell you exactly what elements you're entitled to, as well as any deductions (if any)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Are you one of the ones that started managed migration?
    Couldn’t be at that time. 

OP, if you have moved to a different local authority then you would need to claim UC in order to get help with rent. If you have moved within the same local authority you should have been able to stay on your old benefits.

Once the UC details are sorted you should get the standard allowance, the housing element (assuming you rent) and the LCWRA element plus SDP transitional element (if you still met the qualifying conditions for SDP at date of transfer).

Hopefully it will be sorted by the date of your first payment on 4th June.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    Are you one of the ones that started managed migration?
    Couldn’t be at that time. 

Of course yes, don't know where my head is this morning. Thanks calcotti.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.