Adult ADHD and concentration... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adult ADHD and concentration...

Options
SteveKC
SteveKC Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited August 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
I do not wish to exclude anyone but as I see my psychiatrist tomorrow at 10 am I would like to know of those who share my diagnosis, if their medication has helped them concentrate (I do not wish to pry, I am NOT asking for such medication detail!). Mine has reduced my anxiety but I still end the day having drifted from one issue to another without focusing on any particular issue for long enough to my satisfaction and wondered if, usually the right meds on the right dose is possible to realize such focus as I hope to achieve...
Tagged:

Comments

• SteveKC
    SteveKC Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Thank you, Teddybear12
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @SteveKC

First I want to apologise for the delay in replying to your post but also to welcome you belatedly to the online community.  I hope that my reply will make your original post more visible on the community so that other community members can share their thoughts with you.

As you said in your post you appreciate that community members can’t give advice about medication, not least as that is something specific to the individual concerned, but am I right in thinking that you are wanting to know more generally how people achieve a balance between being able to concentrate and managing their anxiety levels.  I suppose you have a three-way dialogue between your self your psychiatrist and your GP.  You did not mention your GP – are they supportive or do you feel they lack insight into your condition. Has your psychiatrist been helpful? 

Your post mentions that you were going to have an appointment with your psychiatrist the following morning.  Is this something that causes you anxiety or is it something you find helpful.  Have they helped you manage your anxiety and found strategies to help you with concentration?

Do spend a moment to look around the online forum.  There are some threads on ADHD, but not on your specific question, but I hope you will find these discussions of interest.  There are also organisations such as  ADHD UK and Mind that offer help and support to people with ADHD.

It seems that you are doing a lot to help yourself. Do you have any hobbies and pastimes that you would like to tell us about. Do they help you to let off steam and help with your anxiety?  Remember to set yourself realistic goals and to give yourself a pat on the back when you do things well and don’t be hard on yourself when you don’t manage to stay focused and achieve what you wanted to do. Take care and do keep in touch.

Take care

Sue  

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.