would help if familly were more encouraging — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

would help if familly were more encouraging

Beam_Violet
Beam_Violet Community member Posts: 4 Listener
would help if familly were more encouraging i feel like i am making a slight improvement after a really long time and i don't even get a what are you doing lately encouragement, reassurance just a little bit would help to get me started on doing thing to be more busy and active in yes a bit of exercise but more so in me pursuing some self taught arts and things of that sort i have not had it in so long any advice on how i can get it from them please and thank you

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi how are you today @Beam_Violet ? Families are a little like the lottery sometimes you get the bonus ball sometimes you're lucky to win a tenner, have you tried bringing it up in conversation? As in I'm doing x at the moment.
    It's a difficult one to answer not knowing your family, but if you are happy doing what you do I would say just get on with it and do it for you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Beam_Violet :) Thanks for posting about your situation. I can imagine that'd feel a bit disheartening. 

Have you tried bringing it up directly? It can be difficult to do, but that's sometimes the most effective way of letting someone know how you've been feeling. For example, you could say something like "I've been feeling as though I haven't been able to share what I've been up to with you all as much as I'd like to recently. Would we be able to dedicate some time each day for me to share updates on my progress?". They might not realise they've been doing it, so politely raising it may help. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    You know reading this thread/chat @Beam_Violet i get what your saying and understand, but i would look at it another way - you have joined this fantastic group, we will in courage you at any thing you want to try, you will also get friendship, okay you want to share things with a family who do not seem interested, but as you get more confidence and go ahead and try more things like craft etc. it might make them think - what you been up to ! you've changed ! then they may show a bit more interest and start looking into other things that make you happy.

Hope this all makes sense x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.