If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit - backdate claim date

Options
lpm2008
lpm2008 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hello, I’m sorry if this a silly question but just wanted to double check. I started my UC claim on the 9th May. I took an advance payment to help with rent etc which is taken off future payments. My claim was meant to start earlier but due to being in hospital I only managed to start the claim on 9th but UC have agreed to back date the claim to start date of 9th April. Will that change my first payment in June? Will it be more? Can I then apply for another advance? I’m sorry I’m just so confused! Thanks :) 

Comments

• lpm2008
    Options
    I’ve read this online and it was separate to the paragraph that was about the advance.

Backdating your Universal Credit

You can apply to get a Universal Credit payment to cover up to 1 month before you started your claim - this is called 'backdating'. You’ll need a good reason for not claiming earlier - if you’re in a couple, you’ll both need a good reason. For example, this could be because:

• of an illness - you’ll have to show the DWP medical evidence for this
    • of a disability
    • you weren’t told your Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) was going to end
    • the online claims system was down, and you claimed as soon as it was working again
    • you've made a new claim as a single person after breaking up with your partner - check what to do if you're in this situation
    • you made a joint claim that ended because your partner didn’t accept the claimant commitment - you should now be claiming as a single person
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I can’t see that it makes any difference to the normal June payment. I’m not clear why you think it might.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lpm2008
    Options
    Why can you backdate it then? I’m sorry I’m new to claiming benefits as my partner died a few weeks ago and I’ve had to leave work just now. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    lpm2008 said:
    Why can you backdate it then? I’m sorry I’m new to claiming benefits as my partner died a few weeks ago and I’ve had to leave work just now. 
    The answer to that question is already contained in the previous reply posted by you. A UC claim can be backdated for a maximum of one month if there is a good reason for the delay.

If you were married or in a civil partnership you will be able to claim Bereavement Support Payment.

Is your employer paying you anything at the moment? If you are signed off sick you should at least be getting SSP.

If UC applies (and that will depend on your circumstances) you should apply as soon as possible. I think you can request backdating immediately after the claim is open.

I'm still not clear why you would think backdating would change your normal June payment.

Any backdated payment would be paid separately.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope that calcotti's comments have helped to clear that up for you a little @lpm2008 :) 

I'm really sorry to hear about the recent loss of your partner. Are you receiving enough support to help you through this difficult time?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Please accept my sincere condolences 

Are work not supporting you to have some compassionate leave 

You asked if you could have another advance payment unfortunately no you can only have 1 to see you through for your first payment and this must be repaid in full before ant other loans can be granted 
  • lpm2008
    Options
    Thankyou calcotti for your help, so any backdating payments will be paid separately if they change claim start date? I’m sorry it’s my first time claiming UC and just not thinking straight sometimes. 

Thankyou tori_scope :) I’m getting support from Winstons wish and counselling for the children which was organised by their school. I’m doing ok. Just taking each day as it comes. I’m getting support from family and friends and grief counselling has been arranged as well for me. 
  • lpm2008
    Options
    Thankyou @janer1967 I’m off work just now on leave. It will be ongoing just now until I’m feeling better. It was very sudden in an car accident so I think shock is still very much playing a part. I think I worded my post wrong. If they backdate the claim I wasn’t sure if I would get a separate payment as citizens advice site mentions they backdate if you have a good reason and the decision maker agrees. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! In your first comment you said this.
    lpm2008 said:
     UC have agreed to back date the claim to start date of 9th April.
    Then you said.
    lpm2008 said:
    If they backdate the claim
    If a decision maker has agreed to backdate your claim then money owed is always paid separately.
    Are you claiming SSP from your employer?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lpm2008
    Options
    Will it still be backdated separately if I’ve also already taken an advance? Thanks 
  • lpm2008
    Options
    I’m sorry I should have double checked my post before submitting it. Yes they have agreed yesterday morning to backdating it. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    lpm2008 said:
    Will it still be backdated separately 
    Yes, as advised here.
    Sorry for your loss! In your first comment you said this.
    lpm2008 said:
     UC have agreed to back date the claim to start date of 9th April.
    Then you said.
    lpm2008 said:
    If they backdate the claim
    money owed is always paid separately. 
    Your advance payment will need to be repaid back, which will reduce your future payments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.