Wheelchair on Eurostar — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair on Eurostar

Options
Havewheels
Havewheels Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I’m looking for some advice about taking a wheelchair on Eurostar from London to Paris. My reclining wheelchair is bigger than average, but will fit in a 120cm wheelchair space if I take the footrests off. Can anybody advise if there is legroom beyond the size of the wheelchair itself on Eurostar? I will need to be able to stretch my legs out a bit. I have been in contact with Eurostar but they couldn’t really help. If anybody in this forum has travelled on the Eurostar and is able to help I would be very grateful! Thanks x

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Havewheels and welcome to the community :) Thanks for your query this afternoon. 

I was due to travel on Eurostar in my manual chair in 2020, and unsurprisingly we can to cancel due to the pandemic, so unfortunately I can't advise you as to what the space is like!

If I recall when I was looking, they have two or three different models of trains or carriages they use, so the wheelchair spaces are slightly different depending which you book. From what I can make out, it says: 

Is there a maximum wheelchair size for travelling on Eurostar?
    Yes. To make sure it fits in lifts, on ramps and in the onboard wheelchair space, it needs to be no bigger than 70cm wide and 120cm long.

I'm sorry to hear that Eurostar weren't as helpful as they could be, what did they say when you contacted them? 

Having had a quick search I've found the Eurostar assistance guide, which has diagrams (some clearer than others) of the wheelchair seats on their three trains. To me it looks as though the 'Original Train' will give you the most room in the designated wheelchair space.

Let me know if I can help with anything further in the meantime, and hopefully someone with first hand experience can share their thoughts with you as well.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Havewheels
    Options
    Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. When I spoke to Eurostar she said she couldn’t advise on how much legroom would be available, and I wouldn’t be able to specify what sort of seating arrangement I would prefer, so I wouldn’t know if the space was suitable until I was actually on the train. My chair just fits into the 70 x 120cm space, but obviously I will also need room for my legs - I wouldn’t be able to travel all the way with them tucked under the chair. Hopefully someone in the group forum might have some experience of this. I’m sorry your trip had to be cancelled. I hope you get the chance to go another time! 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's really frustrating @Havewheels! How can you plan ahead when you don't know if the space will be suitable until you're on the train... 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again @Havewheels I agree, it's incredibly frustrating to leave something so essential up in the air like that. 

It may well be worth asking on Twitter, if you have it, as there's an active community of disabled people who might have expeirence of travelling on the Eurostar.

One other suggestion is getting in touch with Transport For All, if they can't help directly, they might be able to point you to someone who can.

And thank you, I'm sure eventually we'll get the chance to go again :)

Let us know if you do find any more information as well, I hope you can travel as smoothly as possible.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JodyS
    JodyS Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I have travelled a few times in wheelchair spaces on Eurostar. I have been on a couple of the different train options. My chair is a standard manual but I have shared the area with a mobility scooter and with a quite large electric chair, I would say the spaces are quite spacious but I wouldn’t promise as didn't measure! There is a table with the wheelchair spaces and so there is space under the table. On one train type the two wheelchair spaces face each other and the table extends out into the middle but doesn’t have to be extended which gives more space. 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks you for sharing that with us @JodyS :) Hopefully @Havewheels will find that helpful!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Havewheels
    Options
    Thanks everybody - I think it will be fine and have booked a wheelchair space now. X
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Havewheels. It is the very least you deserve. 

It is really positive to hear you think it will be fine and have booked a wheelchair space now. Please feel free to keep us updated on how it goes  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, how are you today?
    I just wanted to add that I saw a video review about using the Eurostar as a wheelchair user, which should be helpful in showing their accessibility, and what the wheelchair space is like.

Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.