Scooter options — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scooter options

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
I had a lead acid powered mobility scooter for a couple of years a few years ago but the battery died due to not being constantly on charge (the wife has a fire phobia and we can't leave things on charge 24/7!) 
I am looking for a lithium powered scooter - would I be correct in thinking that a lithium battery does not need to be on constant charge for it to maintain its charge?
If so what are my options? 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Having experienced both types of battery for my own electric wheelchairs, I can say that lithium batteries are a bit more reliable, and can be left without needing to be constantly charged. 

I think they are more expensive to buy and replace, but are better to use overall. 

Do you have any mobility aid providers with shops local to you? It would be a good idea to be able to test different scooters so you can get a feel for what's right for you. Sometimes they can offer home testing as well.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help if you need it :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Having experienced both types of battery for my own electric wheelchairs, I can say that lithium batteries are a bit more reliable, and can be left without needing to be constantly charged. 

I think they are more expensive to buy and replace, but are better to use overall. 

Do you have any mobility aid providers with shops local to you? It would be a good idea to be able to test different scooters so you can get a feel for what's right for you. Sometimes they can offer home testing as well.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help if you need it :)

Thanks - my old scooter had "suspension" springs but solid plastic wheels so wasn't very comfortable
    Range required - say 10 miles and it needs to break down in to lightweight parts so my wife can lift it in to the car !
    What should I be looking for in a new scooter ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've never purchased a mobility scooter myself @Wibbles, but I found the following pages on things to consider, and questions to ask yourself and the seller, before buying:
    I hope they might be of help!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Is there any restrictions to what can be driven into a shop?
    My mobility means that I cannot walk a step 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will find a scooter doesn't really fit in smaller shops and too big to manoeuvre around 

They are OK in supermarkets and larger shops 
     Also some cafes and restaurants are a struggle 

Personally the scooters are OK for getting you out for what would be a ride etc 

I have an electric folding wheelchair which is far better for getting in places it's same size as normal wheelchair and also fits easily in a car 
  • Wibbles
    edited May 2022
    Options
    janer1967 said:g
    You will find a scooter doesn't really fit in smaller shops and too big to manoeuvre around 

They are OK in supermarkets and larger shops 
     Also some cafes and restaurants are a struggle 

Personally the scooters are OK for getting you out for what would be a ride etc 

I have an electric folding wheelchair which is far better for getting in places it's same size as normal wheelchair and also fits easily in a car 
    Does the wheelchair break down into several light weight components? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No mine doesn't it just collapses and folds down it is quite heavy but my son can lift it in car you could always take battery off to lift 

You should visit a mobility shop for advice and see options available 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.