going abroad on benefits. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

going abroad on benefits.

Options
Etr_78
Etr_78 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi im receiving some benefits ,on disability as well,UC,housing benefit,PIP and im on LCWRA element ,as i havent been home for almost 6 years havent seen my family and had so much stress ,miss my family members so much..Im have depression for few years too ,plus have lost 6 close relatives within few years,recently  lost another cousen..I know normally u can be abroad up to a month with UC,but it also tells in such circumtances they can extend it ,i wrote DWP on journal,but the person replied said the thing i already know ,saying can be away up to a month,and didnt write much plus didnt give me an option to reply,i then decided to write u for helping me.Have no teeth for long time and cant eat,cant chew at all,only soups for almost 2 years ,damaging my health more..He said NHS provides help,but its impossible to get a dentist tried fr long time with ex support worker couldnt find one,.plus they only do basics at emergency dental clinic,pulling teeth out ,as i dont have teeth to eat at both upper and lower ends,corners ,are all empty..i have a dentist who will help me in Turkey for my teeht and my sister and brother will pay for it..im so much depressed and unhappy,need to see my family too,mum is not well neither.Also know if u r looking for a job and visiting Job Center regularly,its then different.But i dont need to ,because im on LCWRA ,online infos on internet say DWP then can extend the month period to two or more if you dont have to visit job center and u r asked look for a job..but the message someone wrote me was so basic seemed he didnt want to help at all,couldnt even reply back..no option,i spoke to few agents before they all gave me the option to reply but this person didnt let me to reply..i read also ,for example PIP can be ok up to 13 weeks,when abroad..But UC is the issue ,but i also read they can extend it unless u dont have to visit job center or looking for work,as i dont ,im on LCWRA..I need your help for this ,any advice appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    For UC you can go abroad for up to 6 months if it's for medical treatment but it will be down to a decision maker to decide whether your UC will continue after the 1 month timescale. See link.
    Etr_78 said:
    Hi im receiving some benefits ,on disability as well,UC,housing benefit,PIP and im on LCWRA element

Just to add, unless you're living in supported housing or temporary housing then you won't be claiming housing benefit. Your rent will be paid in with your UC known as housing element.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Etr_78

Thanks for posting, it's lovely to see you back on the community :)

Sorry to hear of the situation you are in, it sounds really difficult and you appear to have a lot on your plate right now. You mentioned that you are feeling depressed and unhappy, and I just wanted to check whether you receive any support at all to manage your mental health?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.