My child has communication difficulties. How can I teach him sign language? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My child has communication difficulties. How can I teach him sign language?

Options
dolyp
dolyp Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my child has no diagnosis but communication difficulties and I want him to communicate . How can I teach him sign language please?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @dolyp :) This is the post I made for you- I hope you manage to find it!

Is your child receiving any support from a medical team at the moment? They may be able to advise you on how best to approach this. 

Do you mind me asking roughly how old your child is? This may help other members who've been in a similar situation to offer you some advice and support tailored to your situation.

I had a quick look online, and it looks as though there are quite a few videos and books on teaching your child to sign. Have you tried Googling this to see if any of them might work for you and your child? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • KITTYCAT88
    KITTYCAT88 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Options
    You can go on line and look up base words like bathroom,eat and thing like that. I can't talk till I was 5years old and I did my own signs. The kids in my kindergarten class told the teacher what I was talking about. Do he have his own signs?
     I took American sign language in high school. I also took collage courses. Maybe their a collage around you the give out class. All you need is two classes and you can have conversations with someone that can't speak. It teach you how to read lips .
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @Johnmduk1 these are great poems :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 504 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, if you have not already done so you should ask your child's paediatrician, or health visitor or GP for an urgent referral to a Speech and language therapist.  They should then be able to help you and your child find the most suitable method for communication, and/or with speech development.  You have not said whether your child has any other impairment or delay and so depending on other factors their communication issues could have many causes and sign language may not be the most beneficial option, especially if they have issues with language comprehension and more generalised communication.  Also if they are unable to communicate or comprehend well, it will have real implications for education and so you could also ask the school (if they are at school) to help get the child the support and therapeutic input they need.  Best wishes Jenny, mother of 24 year old with CP who has never had any speech so uses a range of AAC methods (alternative and augmentative communication)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.