Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Energy price cap: Typical energy bill set to rise by £800 a year in October

Options
2»

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,764 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Well after the phone call to EON today I just give up. I told them that I don't qualify for the most of what the government are offering (not receiving any sort of means tested benefits) 
    You will receive the winter fuel payment plus the extra £300 on top, as well as the £400 energy rebate paid over a period of 6 months from October.
    I wouldn’t call that not qualifying for most of what the government have announced.

What's the extra £300? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,274 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Well after the phone call to EON today I just give up. I told them that I don't qualify for the most of what the government are offering (not receiving any sort of means tested benefits) 
    You will receive the winter fuel payment plus the extra £300 on top, as well as the £400 energy rebate paid over a period of 6 months from October.
    I wouldn’t call that not qualifying for most of what the government have announced.

What's the extra £300? 

It's part of the cost of living support payments made to all those of state pension age and above.

One-off £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

• Pensioners are disproportionately impacted by higher energy costs, and many low-income pensioner households do not claim the means tested benefits they are entitled to.
    • So pensioner households will receive an extra £300 this year to help them cover the rising cost of energy this winter.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,764 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    racyguy said:
    We will and that's all we get. Given that the dual fuel bill for us has now gone up by £1000 a year it does mean that as things stand now the extra cost is £300. However we all know that the cost will rise by another minimum £900 from October. There is no help for that extra increase. Overall after the October increase EON have suggested that our annual bill will be in the region of £3600!!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,004 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    But you will also get the £400 from Oct. paid over 6 months, don't forget the price cap is exactly that a "CAP" i.e the most you will pay, and if we are honest no one knows what will happen in Oct.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    woodbine said:..don't forget the price cap is exactly that a "CAP" i.e the most you will pay, 
    For the avoidance of doubt, the CAP sets a maximum rate for the standard charge and unit rates. It isn't a cap on the amount to be paid which depends on the amount consumed. Figures quoted in newspapers etc are always an indicative amount for a 'typical' consumer. 

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,274 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    racyguy said:
    We will and that's all we get. Given that the dual fuel bill for us has now gone up by £1000 a year it does mean that as things stand now the extra cost is £300. However we all know that the cost will rise by another minimum £900 from October. There is no help for that extra increase. Overall after the October increase EON have suggested that our annual bill will be in the region of £3600!!

Energy prices have increased for everyone. You certainly haven't been left out of the support like you suggested.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Energy prices have also gone up for everyone including those who work and are just above the earnings limit to claim any benefits 

They will get less than you and could be struggling paying for energy , fuel , food and possibly bringing up children.  They have to pay for cars and transport to work as well 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,004 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:..don't forget the price cap is exactly that a "CAP" i.e the most you will pay, 
    For the avoidance of doubt, the CAP sets a maximum rate for the standard charge and unit rates. It isn't a cap on the amount to be paid which depends on the amount consumed. Figures quoted in newspapers etc are always an indicative amount for a 'typical' consumer. 

thats one way of saying what I was saying  :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether someone is able to access Household Support monies will depend on how their local authority is choosing to allocate it. It appears that some authorities will have money available for people to apply for but others are distributing money as additional support to those who already receive other support. The latter approach will, I expect, involve lower administrative costs and therefore result in more money going to those in need.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SelmaRoxy
    SelmaRoxy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options

Electricity prices in the UK are set to rise by around £800 a year for the average household from October. The increase is due to the electricity price cap, which is being raised to compensation for higher wholesale energy prices. This means that households on standard variable tariffs will see their energy bills increase.

To counterbalance this, it's important to compare business electricity rates and switch to a cheaper deal if possible. There many websites that allow you to do this easily, such as this one I found online that helped me compare business electricity rates. Electricity prices may be rising, but there's no need to overpay – so make sure you compare deals and switch to a cheaper tariff if you can.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.