unsolicited phone calls getting on my nerves! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

unsolicited phone calls getting on my nerves!

Options
m_burrell82
m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
Aren't cold calls supposed to be illegal now?  I still get tons of calls every day on my home phone and mobile that are really getting on my nerves.  (Instead of nice friendly calls, I'd really love to have).  One firm in particular I've really got to speak out against here:  BENEFICIAL.  Many calls I'm getting from them every day, both on my home phone and mobile.  They must have different numbers as I always block such calls on my mobile.  On my home phone I put the phone down and pull out the plug as they are still likely to be there. I'm going have to start to be really rude to them, as it is illegal, it is harassment and it is not supposed to be happening!!

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for your post @m_burrell82. I agree about how they get on your nerves.

I had at least two cold calls yesterday myself! As you say, it is particularly frustrating to have these calls instead of nice friendly calls.

Hopefully, they will stop soon - especially as it is not supposed to be happening  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you spoken to your phone provider about caller ID @m_burrell82? It might be worth looking into if it's accessible for you.

Some cold caller numbers will come up as "international" or "withheld" but others will just be numbers you don't recognise, or ones not in your phone book. That might help with knowing when not to pick up, as they are a real nuisance.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have an answerphone on my landline and they rarely leave a message, whereas bona fide callers will leave a message so that’s no problem.

as for my mobile phone, it’s rarely on and I’ve never received a cold call on it when it is on. I can only think that I’ve never given my mobile number to anyone apart from my doctors and close family and that has made a difference. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I get about 6 a day on my mobile, same people, different numbers each time I block them. I use to answer them and play along, then I asked them not to ring my number again,  but they still do, pretending to be different people on each call, now I don't answer, just cut them off and block their new number.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We disconnected our landline years ago as we both have 750 mins on our mobiles so it's only needed for broadband.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Rachel10876
    Rachel10876 Scope Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    Options
    @m_burrell82 I actually know how you feel I am getting these calls loads of times a day on my mobile number it’s ridiculous and I’m not happy at all with it . 
    Have you heard of TPS  ? Rachel x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I found this page on the CAB website that contains a lot of useful information, and could be helpful for some. 

Including:

Register with the Telephone Preference Service
    The best way to reduce nuisance calls is to register for free with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS).
    They’ll add you to their list of numbers that don’t want to receive sales and marketing calls. It’s against the law for sales people from the UK or overseas to call numbers registered with TPS.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Thanks for that @Ross_Scope I've just registered
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Thanks for that @Ross_Scope I've just registered
    No worries, it's the first time I've heard of it to be honest :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • bwlch1
    bwlch1 Scope Member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Have no landline and only answer mobile tel numbers i recognise, any tip stopping spam e-mail ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    bwlch1 said:
    Have no landline and only answer mobile tel numbers i recognise, any tip stopping spam e-mail ?
    Depending on what email app you use, there should be a spam folder that automatically detects what emails are spam and puts them in there. For any emails you have previously signed up for but would no longer wish to receive, the easiest way to resolve it is to scroll to the bottom of the email and find an "unsubscribe" button :) 

• bwlch1
    bwlch1 Scope Member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Some goes to spam and others don't, if e-mail providers care this would be resolved, got to presume they don't.  It's like playing whack a mole!!!
  • Sandy_123
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Just an update since registering my number on that link that Ross gave, I've only had 1 company call, I can report that company after 28 days of registering, so far so good
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pleased to hear it @Sandy_123 that's quite a change for the better :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Rachel10876
    Rachel10876 Scope Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    Options
    @m_burrell82.
    You can even report these nuisance calls to a company called ICO 
    as long as you have the phone number s of the cold callers you can report it to them.
    the website address is 
    ico.org.uk
    hope it also helps you out. 
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for that.
  • Starlingbird
    Starlingbird Community member Posts: 169 Pioneering
    Options
    If I pick the phone up by mistake (like when I'm expecting a call but some pesky scammer/cold caller gets in first) I stay very polite and just say "Err, could I ask where you got my number from please? Because I'm ex-directory (or you could say you are registered with the TPS)". They always slam the phone down on me :p I'm registered with the TPS too, so I don't get many cold calls.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Yeah I'm registered with them now and since I've had less, it's a lot better, was getting silly at one point

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.