Powerchair weight capacity query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Powerchair weight capacity query

Options
Mixedbag
Mixedbag Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi does anyone know of any well priced (less than £1500 preferably as I will have to finance) powerchairs that have a weight capacity of 150kg or more with a 20in/50cm seat? 

PIP are taking a long time (10 months now) and I can't wait any longer for them to potentially award enhanced to enable me to get a chair from the motability scheme. 

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Mixedbag I'm sorry not one has been able to answer your query so far. I've had a search of my local supplier of mobility equipment, and none of the powerchairs had a seat width of more than 19 inches. The starting price for these was often around £1,700 or higher, which I know will be immensely frustrating to hear. 

I wonder if there's a shop/supplier near you that you could enquire with? I have heard that sometimes charities, such as the British Red Cross, do offer wheelchair hire, though I believe this is restricted to manual chairs rather than powerchairs.

How are things going with your PIP claim? Let us know if there's anything further we can do to help :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Aardvark
    Aardvark Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    Hello 

Yes the chairs exist.. but your budget may need to stretch a bit.

I personally avoid mobility shops... great for research but in my experience they dont have a full sample of the market..just lie car salesthey sell you there stuff which may not be best.

I also buy second hand but factor in new batteries. 

What do you need from the powerchair.. ?  where will it go, where will you use it, how long will you sit in it etc. 

If taking it out .. do you have accessible transport?  finding transportable powerchairs that can be lifted in taxis is hard going.

For non transportable powerchairs I like my Quickie Salsa mini... this is from the NHS.  Have you checked to see if you would be entitled to a chair from wheelchair services?  I use this at home and on buses.

A pride Go chair comes in wider seats and larger batteries .. fits through standard house width doors and great turning circle. Its marketted as transportable but the parts are quite heavy to me but younger family were fine putting in a car boot. 

I would start on ebay for local area and go from there.. see what is there and work up. 

I have never found the perfect chair... currently have three but liek shoes they all do different things. 

• Mixedbag
    Mixedbag Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Update in case anyone has a similar issue! I found a powerchair for £2000 with a weight capacity of 180kg from Eezeego. I spoke mostly to Dale who has been absolutely amazing. I had an issue with the first powerchair I was sent so they sent me another one express delivery so that I had it on time for a festival. They do rent to buy plus insurance, you can rent the chair for as long as you need and if you intend to buy it, the cost of renting will be taken off the total amount of the chair until its paid off! It isn't the most powerful chair but it can manage with most things including going on rough ground and grass. It's also foldable and fits into most cars. I decided to go with rent to buy because I found out that motability will help with learning to drive so wanted to do that instead. Hope this helps someone if they read it!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear that you got it all sorted @Mixedbag :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.