Returning to work after 12 years. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Returning to work after 12 years.

Options
Thunderfinch
Thunderfinch Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi.
I left work in 2009 due to PTSD and a range of other mental health issues. I got it into my head two years ago that I was well enough to go back to work, so kept applying to Government jobs. Failing interviews and carrying on. Never expecting to get a job. I've now been offered a role and don't know what to do.

I feel stuck. The money is very good, and will make a real difference to my family, something I feel guilty at not providing. But, I am worried that I'm just setting myself up to fail! Deep down, I don't feel ready, but don't know if it's just my nerves talkingHas anyone, any experience of going back to work after such a long time? How did you know you were ready?

Thanks

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I had this once After around eight years. What I did was take a chance and went back to work, within hours it was as though I’d never been off work! When I made up my mind I decided that if I couldn’t handle it I would simply say so and leave so I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

there is one thing I’d add however, it’s a mistake to judge yourself by what you do for a living, ie as a job. We’re more than that.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This isn't something that's happened to me @Thunderfinch, so I can't offer any advice in that sense, but I hope some of our members who've been through this will be able to share some knowledge on this, as leecal has done :)

Have you thought about whether any reasonable adjustments (Scope) could help you to manage working life, if you were to take the job? 

Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment, such as from a therapist or mental health support worker? If you have access to a mental health professional who's familiar with your situation, it could be worth taking through your reservations with them, too. You could also try speaking to your family about it to see if they have any thoughts. It's your decision to make of course, but hearing other people's perspectives can sometimes be helpful.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.