What are your old clothes worth? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are your old clothes worth?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
Birmingham Live spoke to Scope's Northfield charity shop about what goes on behind the scenes, where your donations go, and how prices are worked out. Read the full article here.
“We’re like one big family,” says Scope shop manager Rosie Hall.

In the stock room of the charity shop, volunteers tirelessly work their way through the mounds of donations piled up around the room. The shop receives an average of 200 donation bags a week full of an array of eclectic items.

Each item is priced, catalogued, labelled and cleaned before they reach the shop floor. Seasonal items like Christmas decorations and prom dresses are put to one side, ready to be moved to a prime position when they are needed.

Volunteers closely examine the condition of every donation they receive before deciding on a price. “We want to make as much money as we can from donations but we don’t want to rip people off at the same time,” says Rosie.

“We like to prize items accordingly. We look at the brand, the quality of the time and we adjust the price based on where we are selling it.".
So how much are your old clothes worth? More than you might think, according to manager Rosie.

“Your average bag of donations makes the charity about £20. You might think you’re just cleaning out your closet but these donations make a big difference,” she says.
Recent research conducted by Scope found the average adult in Birmingham has 25 items of unwanted clothing and footwear in their wardrobe. It says 150,000 donations nationwide would be enough to fund all of its disability services.
So what’s the hardest thing about running a charity shop? According to area manager Carl Prinzel, the cost of living crisis is proving a significant challenge.
“The cost of living crisis kills us in charity shops. Gas and electricity bills, tax rises have all had a knock on effect,” he said. “A lot of people think the cheaper you sell your stock the more money you make - you don’t. All you do is sell more stock, work twice as hard and make no money.”.

Rosie says one of the biggest misconceptions about running a charity shop is that staff help themselves to the best stock before it hits the shelves. Carl assures me that all charity shops consider this misconduct in that it “sends the wrong message to customers.”.

And what about the best thing? “That’s easy,” says Carl, “the volunteers.".

"They are all so committed - there’s a real community atmosphere here. When I go into a shop that’s struggling - the first thing I look at is how many volunteers they have.”.

Scope's loyal army of volunteers were on hand to bring the shop back to life after it was burgled four times in the last year and Rosie has heaped praise on the “family” of volunteers who keep the shop afloat.

“The volunteers come just to be here - a lot of them already work jobs,” she said “We’re like a big family - everyone comes for a bit of looking after and a chat with friends. Giving up all that time for us is just amazing - they’re so dedicated.”.

Over to you...

If you're interested in volunteering at one of our charity shops, you can find out more on our website.

Do you enjoy looking for bargains in charity shops?

Do you have any items at home that you could donate?

Have you ever considered volunteering in a charity shop?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,063 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good article, I donate to charity shops, clothes, books etc.  I pop in to look at the nic nacs, my grandchildren like looking at the toys and have bought many.  My grandson spotted a science set yesterday and we sat doing experiments together,  making a blob lamp in a test tube amongst other things. 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like charity shops, great fun looking around for bargains. I must say I buy a lot of clothes from them and we do donate too. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    I like to look at all the random bits and pieces too @sandy_123 :) The science set sounds fun! What's one of your best charity shop finds? 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    I get most of my clothes from charity shops these days too @leecal :) It's usually cheaper, more sustainable, and it's a donation to charity. I also tend to find things that I might not usually buy new in there, which has helped me to broaden my style a bit.

Have you got any good bargains from there recently? Mine would probably be a pair of Vans (shoes) in really good condition for around £5.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I did get a lovely cotton traders seersucker shirt for £3, which I thought was a bargain. A friend of mine bought a pair of over ear Blutooth headphones for a similar price, good value and he was chuffed with them @Tori_Scope 🙂

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
    The heart foundation has nice furniture in, dinning tables, sofas etc.  I got some scales for kitchen one of the days I was in. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I donated my sofa to heart foundation a bit ago had email to say it raised £55 for the charity 

I don't really look round charity shops as a lot are not accessible but donate all my old clothes some still with tags on 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Some have ebay shops on ebay 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,867 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    i use charity shops for the dvds and blurays, 10 dvds for a pound, i always pay a bit more, feel cheeky getting stuff so cheap, we have bought furniture etc as well
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So many good deals here that you are all sharing! What's everyone's favourite charity shop find so far? I am intrigued to hear more of your stories. I think mine must be when I was younger finding CDs for so much cheaper  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.