Paying into a private pension — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paying into a private pension

Options
picchy
picchy Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hello everyone,

I'm worried about my future when I retire, as I've never been able to work to pay into a private pension.

I'm on means-tested ESA, HB, Council Tax benefit and PIP care and mobility. Am I permitted to pay a small amount each month into a private pension while receiving these benefits?

Many thanks for any help,
Picchy

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, there's no rules against this. You can contribute to a pension even if you don’t pay tax, or have no earnings at all – this includes children. The annual pension contribution limit for non-earners is £3,600 gross - a payment of £2,880 to which the tax man adds £720.
    Do remember though that unlike any other savings you won't be able to access this until later in life. A pension pot is also not counted towards any savings.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • picchy
    Options
    Thanks so much for writing back Poppy.

I'm worried about benefit sanctions, as any amount I pay in would be coming from my benefits. Do you think this is still permitted? 

Thanks very much,
    Picchy
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Before considering whether or not to contribute you should take into account that, if the existing benefit system remains unchanged, you will get a State Pension and still be able to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. If you are living alone with a disability you may also get some Pension Credit. If you create any private pension income this could reduce your PC, HB and CTR and may not make you much better off.

Obviously however rules may change.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • picchy
    Options
    That's very helpful Calcotti - thanks very much for posting. I didn't know I might get pension credit or realise how much HB would be reduced. Much appreciated,
    Picchy
  • calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Options
    picchy said:
    That's very helpful Calcotti - thanks very much for posting. I didn't know I might get pension credit or realise how much HB would be reduced. Much appreciated,
    Picchy
    To expand further using todays rules.
    A full State Pension is £185.15/week.
    Pension Credit will top your income to £182.60 if your State Pension is less than this.
    it follows that normally for somebody getting the full SP there will be no Pension Credit payable.
    However if you get Daily Living PIP, live alone and nobody claims Carer's Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you then the PC calculation would include a Severe Disability Premium of £69.40 bringing your PC threshold to £252.
    If your SP was £185.15 you would therefore get PC of £66.85/week.
    If you get any PC you then get maximum HB and CTR.

Because any additional pension income will be reduced in full from PC it follows that unless you can build up a pension which is worth more than £66.85/week (£3476/annum) you actually get no benefit from it.

Obviously all of the above could change because government can change rules. I also don't know how many years you have in which to save before reaching pension age but you would need a significant pension pot to get an annuity of £3,476/year.

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage someone from making provision for themselves but the decision needs to be carefully considered.

If you did have private pension and no PC you would likely still receive HB and CTR but the pension income will be taken into account (although not in full) and could reduce the HB and CTR.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • picchy
    Options
    I scoured the internet and couldn't find anything this helpful. Thanks so much! It sounds like there is likely little point having a private pension, unless it is a pretty big one as you say. You could have saved me quite a costly mistake, so thanks again,
    Picchy
  • calcotti
    Options
    If you can afford to set a bit of money aside, building up a reserve fund of up to £6,000 as a capital buffer for emergencies would be a good idea and would have no impact on your benefits.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope it is okay to add that @poppy123456 and @calcotti you are both amazing with the help you give!
  • calcotti
    Options
    calcotti said:
    If you can afford to set a bit of money aside, building up a reserve fund of up to £6,000 as a capital buffer for emergencies would be a good idea and would have no impact on your benefits.
    Should perhaps add too that if you can get afford to save more you could put it into a pension fund because the tax rebate makes it quite efficient. Later on you can withdraw it as a lump sum rather than regular income and a lump sum withdrawal would not affect PC in the same way because a lump sum withdrawal is treated as capital rather than income.

However it still makes more sense to build up an easily accessible emergency fund before thing about pension funds.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.