bring back pounds and ounces, good idea...or not? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

bring back pounds and ounces, good idea...or not?

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2022 in Coffee lounge
According to sky news

‘Boris Johnson is poised to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee with a post-Brexit pledge to bring back pounds and ounces in Britain's shops.

Whitehall sources have told Sky News he will announce on Friday that imperial measurements are to be revived as part of a bonfire of EU regulations.’

https://news.sky.com/story/platinum-jubilee-boris-johnson-poised-to-mark-celebrations-with-post-brexit-pledge-to-bring-back-pounds-and-ounces-12623318

Good idea or have pounds and ounces had their day?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,860 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. In my head i'll always use pounds and ounces. Never could get my head around metric.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I always convert metric in my head to really understand a weight or measure too @poppy123456 🙂

it might confuse the youngsters though?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My reaction to this is unprintable in polite society.

Yes many of us who are older use still think imperial and I have no objection to dual measures being displayed if some want to but switching back would make no sense at all. However this is, in my opinion, scraping around to look for ‘positive’ Brexit news and distract from more pressing matters.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:.. I have no objection to dual measures being displayed if some want to ..
    Which they are, I think, already allowed to do.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yup I always convert as well.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    edited May 2022
    Options
    pints for just 6p! Just like 1952! (6 pennies  a pint)
    not that I want to continuously relay sky news but I can’t resist posting this as it’s relevant to the thread.
    https://news.sky.com/story/platinum-jubilee-pub-chain-to-offer-pints-for-6p-as-part-of-queens-celebrations-12623637

Are you a green king fan @woodbine? @Teddybear12? 😄

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Options
    @leeCal can't remember the last time I was in a pub  :) one thought crossed my mind will they show the cost of petrol at garages in £'s per gallon ? Our local garage would be selling it around £7.40 per gallon if they did, and oil hit almost $120 a barrel on Friday.

• leeCal
    Options
    will they show the cost of petrol at garages in £'s per gallon ? Our local garage would be selling it around £7.40 per gallon if they did,
    I don’t think they dare do that do you.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Options
    leeCal said:
    will they show the cost of petrol at garages in £'s per gallon ? Our local garage would be selling it around £7.40 per gallon if they did,
    I don’t think they dare do that do you.
    I think if they did people would cut down their car use by 50%

• leeCal
    Options
    I think you’re right there. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    When I first saw this headline over the weekend my initial reaction was one of confusion, it seemed like a bit of an odd thing to announce. However though, I speak as somebody who is completely familiar with the metric system and would struggle with pounds and ounces, so I naturally was resistant to the idea
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes i still convert and use both, it would be a massive shock for people to see the true petrol price.
    I like many on here can remember when we changed to metric and when the money changed i found that harder, we managed to a point with conversion so it will be the same for the younger one today.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use both like a lot of us but can't see the point of going back 

Think money it would cost can be spent far more wisely in the current times and there are more important issues the gov should be concentrating on 
  • leeCal
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @Ross_Scope said:
    When I first saw this headline over the weekend my initial reaction was one of confusion, it seemed like a bit of an odd thing to announce
    I think you’re right, I think it’s a very odd thing to announce, though I have some fond memories of the times when we had imperial measurements I think those days are long gone. The moving finger writes and having writ moves on so to speak. It’s just another attempt to court public opinion and change the headlines from party gate in my opinion.

janer is right, there are better things to spend the money on at the moment.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I`ve never stopped using pounds and ounces.  I always ask for a pound of this or 2 pound of that; I leave the conversion to the person behind the counter.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What’s the suggested practical benefit of switching back to pounds and ounces?

I couldn’t see anything put forward in the article aside from “getting back our ancient liberty”, whatever that means.

I can understand having dual figures but not switching back.

For reference I am 28 and use both imperial and metric so am not bothered, it won’t affect me. I am just wondering what the reasons behind the proposed move are.

That said, I think the opinion “it’s a good idea to switch back because I still use pounds and ounces” I think is a bit self-centered, better to look at society as a whole surely.
  • leeCal
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I think it was a promise Boris made to brexiteers way back before brexit or something @66Mustang.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited May 2022
    Options
    PS didn’t mean for my last bit to sound so aggressive, I just meant that when making decisions or voting, people should think about society rather than just their own situation. Sorry if it caused any offence.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    leeCal said:
    I think it was a promise Boris made to brexiteers way back before brexit or something @66Mustang.
    Thanks @leecal, didn’t know that!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.