Does anyone here had spinal fusion surgery due to Spinal stenosis and prolapsed disc? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone here had spinal fusion surgery due to Spinal stenosis and prolapsed disc?

Options
gertrude67
gertrude67 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my name is Gertrude.  I have struggled with lower back pain for the past 11 years and just managed by my GP with  tablets like NSAIDs &pregabalin previously. It was not giving me enough pain relief. So,I was then referred to a spinal doctor and after series of MRI, I was found to have prolapsed disc in L4-L5. At this point, i was already having pins and needles into my left leg down to three toes. I had couple of epidural injections to relieve the pain but it was short time relief- pain came back after a month. I have been managed medically after with cocktail if pain meds like Arcoxia, Lidocaine patch, Butec patch, and Codydramol. The pain got worst now, even after only doing 50 steps, pain starts to build up at lower back, then pins and needles towards both legs now, more on the right. I am now offerred a surgery ( spinal fusion) as now I have not only prolasped disc but also spinal stenosis. Despite of all my struggles with pain- mostly 4-8 out of 10, I still work full time. Had anyone undergone this type of surgery. I would live to know your experience. Thank you. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a difficult decision, have they given any information about recovery times or what to expect afterwards, as in do they believe it will completely solve your pain? So many things to consider. I don't have any experience with us but commenting to show you some support and hope someone else sees this post that can understand the choice you face.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gertrude67 welcome to our great forum.
    I have the same condition so know how you feel.
    I have just in this last year decided to stop working now, i found my job made my condition worse, to the point that when i got home from work i could hardly move.
    I have had all the scans etc with a view to having the opp, i have also been sent to a better hospital, with more success rates, i have been recently told they can not operate as my spine is not stable enough, at the moment i am waiting to have an implant which is to help with pain management.

I am sure there are others on the site that have had the opp.
  • AspieFem
    AspieFem Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi my name is Gertrude.  I have struggled with lower back pain for the past 11 years and just managed by my GP with  tablets like NSAIDs &pregabalin previously. It was not giving me enough pain relief. So,I was then referred to a spinal doctor and after series of MRI, I was found to have prolapsed disc in L4-L5. At this point, i was already having pins and needles into my left leg down to three toes. I had couple of epidural injections to relieve the pain but it was short time relief- pain came back after a month. I have been managed medically after with cocktail if pain meds like Arcoxia, Lidocaine patch, Butec patch, and Codydramol. The pain got worst now, even after only doing 50 steps, pain starts to build up at lower back, then pins and needles towards both legs now, more on the right. I am now offerred a surgery ( spinal fusion) as now I have not only prolasped disc but also spinal stenosis. Despite of all my struggles with pain- mostly 4-8 out of 10, I still work full time. Had anyone undergone this type of surgery. I would live to know your experience. Thank you. 

Ex husband has exactly this is in constant pain and six painkillers do not hold him I am still friends best wishes if u want to talk online be cool I want ll tell him al
    so

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.