Education for autistic children — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Education for autistic children

ccoline
ccoline Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, My 15 year old son was just diagnosed with autism....he has dropped out of school a few months ago and we are struggling to find an appropriate school...any recommendations?
thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Hi @ccoline. Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today?

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds difficult that your son was just diagnosed with autism and dropped out of school a few months ago.

How are you feeling about these things at the moment? In terms of struggling to find an appropriate school, does your son have an EHCP? - this might change the amount of choice you have available.

In the first instance, I would recommend thinking about what your son wishes to do and where his strengths are as you can then think about a school which offers a suitable curriculum and provision. You might also want to talk to and visit a few schools.

I hope this at least semi helps. Please feel free to keep us in the loop, we are all here for you and your son  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • bexter73
    bexter73 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Hi, I’m sorry I hear your sons had to drop out of school. I have a nearly 14 year old daughter who’s ASD. I applied for an ehcp and she now goes to an alternative provision unit for children with ASD. She was out of education for over a year. Does your son have an ehcp? If not I think that’s going to be your next step x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ccoline :) I can see that two of our other members have already given you some great advice and insight, so I hope that's helped! I'd join them in asking you whether he has an EHCP.

Is your son coping okay in the meantime, while he's not in school? Is he receiving enough support to help him manage the news of his new diagnosis? 

If you feel as though you could benefit from some support, you might find it helpful to access one of our friendly family services, such as Parents Connect or Navigate
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • mummytomygirls
    mummytomygirls Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi my daughter is 2 years old been told to get EHCP as as everyone told me that she has autism start the assessment off  on the 28 September and been told by the community paediatrics had told me to look at the school that are for her needs 
  • and15
    and15 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Hi my little girl has asd and physical disabilities so I immediately forced the la and the school before she started and requested and ehcp and drafted my own from the open source template posted on the councils website.i then made sure I worked closely with the designated safeguarding lead at the school so they understood just how much her needs needed balancing yet despite her challenges the school (mainstream school) were more than happy to accept her because they could see we were committed to supporting her and the school.for me with schools be persistent,be prepared have a strong ehcp and don't be afraid to ask questions and be proactive this can help sway the school in your favour.please bear in mind this is only based from my own personal circumstances and experience and everyone's personal circumstances as different, I wish you the very best in your endeavours

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.