A Community Wellbeing Cafe in Richmond, North Yorkshire every Tuesday — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A Community Wellbeing Cafe in Richmond, North Yorkshire every Tuesday

Options
chiarieds
chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
'Time Together Tuesday' is a Community Wellbeing Cafe held at Richmond Town Hall 1pm - 3pm every Tuesday.
  • This is a relaxed, friendly group run by volunteers, who provide a light lunch, games & good company.

• Open to everyone with or without a disability, carers, etc.

• Good disabled access with a lift from street level

• Cost £2.50 which includes the light lunch

North Yorkshire & Darlington Age UK mention these 'Time Together Tuesday' Cafes here:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wish my area did similar. Although I'd be too scared to go! Do you go to them or are you one of the host volunteerers?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lovely idea @chiarieds :) Thanks for sharing!

Have you checked to see whether Age UK, or any other charities, run anything similar in your area @Biblioklept? You could take a look on Meetup, too, to see whether any individuals are running groups you might be interested in attending. 

I can relate to feeling of anxiety around attending groups, but it could be worth pushing yourself to attend one at one point, if you were to feel ready. Is there anything specifically that scares you about the idea of attending one? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Going by myself somewhere I've not been before to meet people I don't know, but if I had anyone I felt I could ask to go with then I probably wouldn't need to go.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Two of my neighbours run this very successful club, & I asked if I could mention it on Scope every so often, which, as you can see, was kindly agreed.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wonder whether any of them have group chats @Biblioklept, so that you could 'buddy up' with someone else before attending your first meeting? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,644 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry this is off topic, but had no idea you were near there @chiarieds. A small world!

I am from “down south” but my family roots on one side are firmly in Yorkshire. I have stayed in one of the cottages next to Easby Abbey - I believe it used to be the vicar’s house but not sure about that - and walked along the river and down to Richmond often while there. It’s a lovely town.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,644 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry this is again deviating from the original topic, but I can completely relate to what you say @Biblioklept. I have had several opportunities to attend groups but never went for the exact reasons you specify. From my experience, I found that as @Tori_Scope mentions having a “buddy” to go with makes it so much easier, so you aren’t walking in there alone for the first time. If there is a group you wish to attend I would suggest perhaps trying to get into contact with one of the members and asking if you could meet them outside, so that you could walk in with them. It might help!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.