Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Business. To be, or not to be?

Options
brightflare
brightflare Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,
I am autistic, and have a number of mental and physical health problems as well. I have not been able to work for over a decade now, as I have social phobia severe enough I rarely leave my home. I currently live on ESA and PIP.
I make a lot of craft items - no specialty, just whatever I feel like making at the time - and would like to sell some of my nicer stuff...mostly as I am running out of storage space in my 1 bedroom flat.
There is a shopping place near me where you can rent a cabinet and display your items, leave the owner instructions on how much to sell them for, how low you are willing to go, that sort of thing, and he will handle all the personal interaction/negotiation for me.
I don't really want to be a business and have to do...tax assessments, and get licences, and...whatever else businesses have to do, as I don't think I could handle all that extra stress. I just want to make stuff, really. I don't expect to make a profit either, just hopefully get a bit of cash back to buy more supplies and make more stuff.
If I can't sell some of my things, I will have to throw them away or donate them to charity shops (space is seriously becoming an issue!), and will most likely have to give up crafting altogether then, since that is basically throwing my limited money straight down the drain...which I really don't want to do, as crafting is sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane!
Would selling in this manner be classed as running a business? Do I have to register with anyone, or inform the DWP, or anything like that? Will doing this affect my benefits in any way, as I couldn't really afford to lose them?
I have had to fight for my PIP every time I have applied for it, despite having enduring disabilities, and really don't need them deciding I am miraculously fine now, just because someone sells some of my stuff for me.
I read somewhere that if you make under a certain amount of profit a year, you don't have to register, or do self-assessments for tax purposes, is this true, and does anyone know where I can find more information about this, please?
Thank you for reading this essay, and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.