UC and gifting from house sale — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and gifting from house sale

Options
Vicks82
Vicks82 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My mum and dad have moved and are in the process of selling their house. They currently receive UC to help with rent and Pension Credits.

When the sale goes through they will have around £90,000, but they want to give my sister and I some money from the sale as our inheritance. This will leave them with around £40,000 as they also want to pay off some debts. They know their means tested benefits will change, but they are worried they may get in trouble for giving money to us. Are they allowed to do this? Is there a certain way they need to go about it, such as gifting through the solicitors at the time of sale? We can't seem to find much information about it.

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Giving money away, regardless of who it’s to will be seen as deprivation of capital and they could be classed as still having the money. There’s no way around this. 
    Vicks82 said:
    They currently receive UC to help with rent and Pension credit.
    For the avoidance of doubt this isn’t possible because you can’t receive both of those together. 
    If it’s UC they are claiming and not pension credit then if they have savings of more than £16,000 on the last day of their assessment period then their UC will end. 
    For council tax reduction all local Authorities have their own rules and some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement ends.
    Once the money goes into their bank they need to report the changes for all means tested benefits.
    If it's pension credit they are claiming then savings rules are different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Vicks82
    Options
    Thank you for your help.

I thought they were getting both, but I could be mistaken. My mum isn't state pension age yet, it is only my dad that gets pension credits, would that mean they can claim both? I know this makes no difference in relation to the house sale, it is just for clarification.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, they can't claim both individually because they are a couple. The rules for mixed aged couples changed in May 2019. Unless they claimed Pension credit before this date then they wouldn't have been able to claim it after. This will mean it must be UC they're claiming as couple.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I'm no expert but winder how they get help with rent if they own their own home 

Have they moved into a rented property 
  • Vicks82
    Options
    They have moved into a rented property and their house is up for sale, they don't have much income until the sale goes through. 

My dad is 75, he is 10 years older than my mum. 
    Apologies as I may have mixed up some information.

Thank you for clarifying the money from the sale of the house.
    I presume everything will stop once the sale goes through 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When your mum reaches 66 UC would end anyway and your mum will be entitled to her State Pension. Your dad is likely getting his State pension - not Pension Credit.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.