They're sending me to a different city — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

They're sending me to a different city

Options
StoryGuy
StoryGuy Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi,
     I got my PIP assessment appointment for the 13th, the letter came saturday, I live in Leeds but they want me to go to Bradford for it. I was turned down for PIP in 2016 at the Leeds centre, I've got worse since then, housebound I never go out all delivered or any appointments over the phone, any ideas? Only time i've been out past 3 years is for hospital tests via Ambulance

David

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,239 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can ring the number on the letter and cancel the appointment, tell them you're unable to go out so can't attend a face to face. Your other options will be telephone or video call. They stopped doing home assessments at the start of the pandemic.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • StoryGuy
    Options
    I've just been on the phone to them. Maybe not being ATOS any more is helpful the guy was nice. TY poppy123456 I asked for a telephone appointment and he said he'd cancel the actual face to face and ring me next monday when the appt is due at the same time and do a Telephone assessment. I'll let you know how it goes, big relief as I was worried about getting there.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Glad it's sorted. They are still ATOS, it's just a different name. You can have someone with you during the call if you want, just put the phone onto loud speaker. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm also glad to hear that you managed to change it to a telephone assessment @StoryGuy :) 

Do you mind me asking you to explain a little more about what's preventing you from leaving the house? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • StoryGuy
    Options
    Hi Tori_scope , I have severe Arthritis, complicated with injuries that flare up from a couple of patient attacks while I worked as a Psychiatric Nurse. I also suffer from anxiety outside, though I developed a management scheme for it, Listening to an audiobook or music while out.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That sounds like a good coping mechanism @StoryGuy :) 

As for the arthritis- are you receiving enough support from a medical team to help you manage your symptoms? Is there anyone who could help you to leave the house?

• StoryGuy
    Options
    I have anxiety medications to cope with it. it's mainly my arthritis stopping me, as too anyone could help me, no, there isn't
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It sounds really difficult that you don't have much help in place at the moment @StoryGuy. Thanks for sharing this with us.

In an ideal world, what would help look like for you at the moment? We are here for you if you would like to share more with us.

How do you feel about your anxiety at the moment? I hope you find some relief or pain management with your arthritis soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Have you considered getting a PA or carer to help you get out @StoryGuy?

• StoryGuy
    Options
    That's one reason I am hoping I get PIP
  • StoryGuy
    Options
    OK, had the phone assessment, the lady seemed nice, will hear within 2 months if I am successful, will let you know
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done for getting through the assessment @StoryGuy we wish you all the best for a positive outcome, do keep us updated as and when you hear more :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Just incase you don't have the decision within 8 weeks, it's actually more like up to 12 weeks, sometimes longer. They tell everyone 8 weeks.
  • StoryGuy
    Options
    OK, a pip payment went into my account overnight, backpay no decision letter yet so I rang them. I've been awarded lower rate on both care and mobility, being housebound I thought i'd get higher mobility, it is a puzzlement
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2022
    Options
    StoryGuy said:
    being housebound I thought i'd get higher mobility, it is a puzzlement
    If you're claiming for mental health reasons and you're unable to undertake any journey the majority of the time due to overwhelming psychological distress then 10 points would be scored for 1E. Claimants who satisfy activity E can't satisfy activity F. This would be standard mobility.

• StoryGuy
    Options
    ty, yes I do have mental health issues so they're giving me help in personal care instead of mobility, ok just needed to know thx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No because you were awarded standard for parts.
  • StoryGuy
    edited July 2022
    Options
    OK poppy123456 , got the decision letter there's no mention of my anxiety I got scored for being able to do things in personal care 9 points and 10 points in mobility for being able to walk 20m but no more than 50m the plan and follow a route unaided was 0 points
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Whether it's possible to score more points for a higher award will depend on exactly how your conditions affect you. https://pipinfo.net/
    If you're not happy you can request the MR but i'd advise you to get some expert advice before doing this. https://advicelocal.uk/

• StoryGuy
    edited July 2022
    Options
    TY Poppy that's the info I needed, the first URL. I am not going to mess up the award by trying for everything I think is right. I think E applies to me not F, but what I have now will make a big difference to me, so I just wanted the information on that page

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.