If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

One-off welfare payment of £650 for households on means-tested benefits

Options
Rosie666
Rosie666 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi, I hope someone can help.  In 2018 my ESA changed from income based to contributions based.  My financial status had not changed for years, I had been receiving an inherited pension since my husbands death in 2004 along with income based ESA and DWP were aware of this.  I am also in receipt of PIP higher rate for both daily living and mobility.   I receive housing benefit which I apply for through my local authority.  My question is am I entitled to the £650 payment for people on means tested benefits or not because I am in receipt of housing benefit and if so how will it be triggered?  I cannot find any information for people in my circumstances and everywhere I look it says only income based benefits such as ESA, no mention of housing benefit which is means tested?  Back in 2018 I did ring DWP and ask them why my ESA had changed from income based to contributions based as it is normally the other way round to be told that I get 10p more on contributions based than I would get on income based (I know, mind boggling) but my problem with that is I often lose out on things.  I am now worried sick incase I will not qualify for the extra help with fuel costs because I will definitely be in fuel poverty and unable to pay my bills come October because I am barely managing to pay the latest increase.  Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,196 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For the £650 payment you need to be claiming a means tested benefit such as Income Related ESA/JSA/Income Support, tax credits, Universal Credit or pension credit. See link for details.
    Unforunately if your ESA is all Contributions based then you won't be entitled to the payment. Housing benefit is not part of the criteria. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022
    As you're claiming PIP you will be entitled to the £150 payment in September. You'll also be entitled to the £400 towards your energy bills, if your named on the account and this will be paid over a 6 month period straight onto your energy acount.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,995 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wonder why housing benefit isn't part of it as it is means tested, that is an odd choice. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wonder why housing benefit isn't part of it as it is means tested, that is an odd choice. 
    Could be because most people getting HB are on other means tested benefits.

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it's because HB is not a DWP benefit so would require local authorities to identify all claimants in receipt of HB and then to remove all those who have already qualified under a DWP benefit. 
    (That's guesswork on my part.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I think it's because HB is not a DWP benefit so would require local authorities to identify all claimants in receipt of HB and then to remove all those who have already qualified under a DWP benefit. 
    (That's guesswork on my part.)
    It may also be the case that Council Tax Support is not being recognised also?

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CTS is a completely different issue.

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    Options
    racyguy said:
    CTR would be impossible to use as a qualifying benefit because for working age people every council can make its own rules.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    Options
    woodbine said:
    CTS is a completely different issue.
    Is it? It's still a means tested benefit akin to Housing Benefit
  • racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    CTR would be impossible to use as a qualifying benefit because for working age people every council can make its own rules.
    Yes that is the case but there would be no difference in say a Pension Credit any amount of award - say 50p a week would be treated as entitlement to the £650 so why not treat CTS awards of any amount the same? 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    racyguy said:
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    Yes that is the case but there would be no difference in say a Pension Credit any amount of award - say 50p a week would be treated as entitlement to the £650 so why not treat CTS awards of any amount the same? 
    Because two working age people in identical circumstances might get some CTS in one local authority but none in another because of different rules. Where I live a person in one authority a person might get full CTS to cover all their CT and in the adjoining one the same person would be excluded from any CTS altogether.
    Using CTS as a trigger for additional help would be grossly unfair.

Comparing that with a benefit such as Pension Credit is completely different. It doesn't matter where you live the PC entitlement would be the same.
  • racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:
    Because two working age people in identical circumstances might get some CTS in one local authority but none in another because of different rules. Where I live a person in one authority a person might get full CTS to cover all their CT and in the adjoining one the same person would be excluded from any CTS altogether.
    Using CTS as a trigger for additional help would be grossly unfair.

Comparing that with a benefit such as Pension Credit is completely different. It doesn't matter where you live the PC entitlement would be the same.
    I see your point.

I also noted in this morning's Mail that the government have taken to putting a quarter page advert telling people to see if they, a friend or relative could be awarded Pension Credit.
    I personally cannot see such action being taken up - this has been done to death over the past 20 years or so even with a TV advert - "it is your money come along and collect it"
  • calcotti
    Options
    racyguy said:
    I also noted in this morning's Mail that the government have taken to putting a quarter page advert telling people to see if they, a friend or relative could be awarded Pension Credit.
    Yes, it’s a new campaign. Worrying aspect to this is that the Pension Service is, as far as I am aware, still suffering from significant delays processing claims which will obviously be worse if they get a surge in new claims.
  • racyguy
    Options
    I agree with you that this is simply a marketing ploy and is playing lip service to show that they are taking some action.
    As I have said this issue of non take up has been pretty static over the years since PC was brought in. The government way back actually paid 6 months of payments to those that they knew were entitled and without a claim being made. After 6 months they hoped that people would make a claim to keep the money rolling in. Take up was very limited.
    Then the government wanted the likes of AgeUK to get the ball rolling - this ended up in disaster.
    I am pleased that you note that the the claiming process is not as the government would have you believe. It cann be extremely difficult without help from outside agencies. There again and as you mention those agencies are also having it difficult with potential claimants unable to access the help needed. Some claims and the regular maintenance of them can also be difficult. I have already outlined in previous posts of mine that I was required to notify the Pension Service in writing (no email account was offered) of every change in the level of income even though it may only be 1p. This meant for me that I would have to send 60 letters to the Pension Service for the 5 private annuities I have for each month due to small differences in the level of tax being deducted - a full time job for me!

And even if new claimants come along they will not be able to access any of the government help as claims needed to have been made by the 25th May 2022.

Window dressing at it's best.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.