Quick PIP question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Quick PIP question

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,679 Disability Gamechanger

Sorry if this is a daft or frequently repeated question. I rarely come into this section of the forum!

Assume someone has been awarded PIP - enhanced for both components - for 3 years (via mandatory consideration, if this makes a difference). The claim is ending in a few months and it is time to renew/review it.

Is this treated as a brand new claim, or is it treated as some kind of review?

What I’m trying to ascertain is: is the fact someone has been on enhanced PIP for the last 3 years irrelevant - are they a fresh claimant?

Or…is their previous claim looked at and they are asked if there’s been any change?

It is possible/common for someone to be on enhanced PIP on Monday, then nothing on Tuesday, despite their condition, and how it affects them, remaining the same?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,293 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not a stupid question so please don't be afraid to ask. I always say if you don't know the answer to a question, how can it be stupid.
    It's likely the review forms  (shorter ones) will be received and form will ask if there's been any changes, if so what changes. Even with these all claims should be classed as a new claim by all claimants and they should put as much information as possible. You should never put "no change" even if there's been no changes.
    Yes, it's possible to recieve a lower award, a higher award, the same award or a refusal at review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456, that's really helpful.

I had no idea that there were different "review" forms, but I'll make sure to treat it as a new claim and put as much info in as possible. I have actually been drafting some rough notes over the last couple of months so that I have something ready, because otherwise I'd struggle to do it within the deadline.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm not sure if they've changed them in the past year but this is the one i had for myself and daughter last year. I couldn't find any other one.
    Make sure you include a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what (if any) the consequences were. You should aim for at least half an A4 side of paper per descriptor.
    Once you receive the forms you can also ring to ask for an extension to return them. Starting now is a very good idea though, at least you won't be rushed when the time comes.
    If you need further advice at the time then please post back and i'm sure someone will advise you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @poppy123456 Thank you very much, really appreciate it. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

As far as PIP goes, it's not about any diagnosis, but rather how your disability affects certain activities of daily living &/mobility. Have a look again at the activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP: 

https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/     this is about filling in an initial PIP claim, but, as Poppy says, you should fill a review form in with as much detail as you put in your initial claim form.

Give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty you face for each applicable descriptor, i.e. when did it happen, where, what happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity?

Say if you can't do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability.

The review form is much shorter than the initial claim form, but you can always add extra pages at the end saying which question you are continuing. Just ensure you put your name & National Insurance number on each page. See it here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/756542/ar1-pip-award-review-how-your-disability-affects-you.pdf

Keep a copy of everything 'just in case,' & get a free Certificate of Posting from your Post Office when sending the form off.

Your current PIP award will stay in place until a decision is made.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Thank you @chiarieds for the advice. I’ve bookmarked this page and will refer back when the time comes. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yet again I was posting at the same time as Poppy! At least we both found the same pdf about the PIP review form.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Yet again I was posting at the same time as Poppy! At least we both found the same pdf about the PIP review form.

No worries at all, it very often happens to me. At least we gave the same advice, with the same link :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thank you, that is very helpful indeed. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options

Just bumping this with another quick question.

My forms arrived today and I'm finalising my answers.

I have written about 1 side of A4 for most of the questions; a couple I’ve written half a side and a few of the more relevant ones I’ve written 2 sides of A4. I’m up to 13 pages of A4.

Is this too much - will they just skim read if there is too much? Is less more?

Thanks.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'd say less is more, but it still needs to make sure all of the relevant info is covered.  I wonder if some of the 2-page items could be thinned out a little?

I didn't answer every question (just the ones I thought relevant) and averaged about a page per question if that helps at all.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @OverlyAnxious

I don't think the 2-page answers can be thinned out any more. I have been through and removed any unnecessary words so it's literally just important content. That's good to know you used about a page per answer, though. I think if I average out all the questions I'm at about the same amount.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'd say less is more, but it still needs to make sure all of the relevant info is covered.  I wonder if some of the 2-page items could be thinned out a little?

I didn't answer every question (just the ones I thought relevant) and averaged about a page per question if that helps at all.
    Good to see you posting! I’m sure I remember your review time had come some months ago. If I’m correct, have you had a decision on that yet?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,648 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck with your claim  @66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    Options
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Good to see you posting! I’m sure I remember your review time had come some months ago. If I’m correct, have you had a decision on that yet?
    Thanks Poppy.  Good memory!  It'll be a year ago next month when I posted the review forms.  No decision so far.

I don't like the feeling of being 'in limbo', but on the other hand, my original award should have ended in March, so I've now had another 4 months of payments due to the extension that I wasn't expecting.
  • poppy123456
    Options

Thanks Poppy.  Good memory!  It'll be a year ago next month when I posted the review forms.  No decision so far.

I don't like the feeling of being 'in limbo', but on the other hand, my original award should have ended in March, so I've now had another 4 months of payments due to the extension that I wasn't expecting.

There are some long time members like yourself that i do remember, especially the ones that i've helped alot in the past, like yourself.
    Yes, they have extended awards even further due to the extreme backlogs. They're concentrating mostly on new claims rather than reviews.
    I know what you mean about the wait, it certainly doesn't help. I hope you hear something soon. Please do let us know when you have the decision and if you need help and support along the way, someone is always here.
  • 66Mustang
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Bumping this with another quick question.

I sent my forms off about a week ago now and haven't had a text message to say they received them.

How long should I give it before ringing them?

I am really hoping to avoid having to ring up as I have big difficulty using the phone and it will be a struggle getting a family member to find a spare 2-3 hours which I believe is the wait for the PIP help line to answer. :|
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I returned mine at the start of the year and didn't receive a message to say that they'd received them. Someone called for me a month later and they confirmed they'd been received and scanned on the day after they were posted. I think sometimes they just don't send messages. 

When are yours due back? If they're not due any time soon I'd give it until closer to the date.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @Biblioklept

They aren't due back for another week or so, I sent them in early. I'll give it a bit longer then. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.