Nominating a driver for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nominating a driver for PIP

Options
Jacadie
Jacadie Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hi guys. I have recently been awarded enhanced mobility with PIP. It does say on a leaflet in the award notice that to claim free disabled car tax it must be the person with the illness/disability or the nominated driver who uses the vehicle for the ill/disabled person. We do own a car but my husband, who is my full time carer is the registered keeper. Is there a process we have to go through to add him as the nominated driver on my pip claim to enable us to apply for the disabled tax? Thank you for any help.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jacadie - from the DVLA's guide 'How to apply for free disabled tax'
    'Who can apply for free vehicle tax
    The registered keeper, who can be:

• the person with the illness or disability

• someone who uses their vehicle only for the ill or disabled person'
    Further info here:

• Jacadie
    Jacadie Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    Ahh i read that guide. It looks like we just have to take all the documents to the post office to change the tax class. It just seemed a little too easy and straightforward so i presumed there must be something i was missing 😂😂 Thank you, we'll get that sorted out then.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're very welcome - it's good that some things are easy! :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do note the requirement
    Using the vehicle in the disabled tax class
    The vehicle must either be used by the disabled person or someone who only uses their vehicle to help them, for example, to get prescriptions or go shopping for the disabled person.

This means that if the car is a general use family car used for activities other than supporting the disabled person it does not come within the scheme (although I'm fairly sure this rule is often breached).

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Do note the requirement
    Using the vehicle in the disabled tax class
    The vehicle must either be used by the disabled person or someone who only uses their vehicle to help them, for example, to get prescriptions or go shopping for the disabled person.

This means that if the car is a general use family car used for activities other than supporting the disabled person it does not come within the scheme (although I'm fairly sure this rule is often breached).

Could it not be argued most household family things are for benefit of the disabled person? Like taking kids to school is supporting disabled person so they don't have to do it, going to work to earn for the household or would that be too much of a stretch? 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've been looking into this as well - so does that mean we can't claim the tax on car because my husband goes to work three days a week - i don't go out unless i am in the car - we go shopping together and other social occasions.
  • calcotti
    Options
    My interpretation is that if your husband uses the car to get to and from work and/or for work itself then the car doesn't qualify for the exemption. I think the intention is support people who need a car due to their disability, if the car would be there anyway it doesn't count. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Will i still be okay in claiming the blue card @calcotti
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can claim blue badge but only use it when you are a passenger in the car that is being parked you can use it in any car you are in not just your car 
  • SueHeath
    Options
  • calcotti
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Will i still be okay in claiming the blue card @calcotti
    Absolutely as per janer's reply. The Blue Badge is for your benefit whenever you are being transported or are driving yourself regardless of what vehicle you are in.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Thanks @janer1967 @calcotti just going to go for blue badge and thinking of bus pass for when we go away x
  • janer1967
    Options
    Make sure the bus pass can be used nationwide I think its called freedom Pass buf not being a traveller on public transport I'm not sure how they work 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Make sure the bus pass can be used nationwide I think its called freedom Pass buf not being a traveller on public transport I'm not sure how they work 
    Yep janer we only tend to go on bus's when we are away - gives hubby a break from driving , thanks for telling me about that one to look for. Hubby is 67 and he's never gone for a pass, but might be more useful now with the price of petrol xxx
  • janer1967
    Options
    Why not may as well get one and gives some variety 

Might even try a bus trip myself lol 
  • calcotti
    Options
    I think the Freedom Pass is a London pass.

An disabled person bus pass can be obtained from your local authority and will be valid for the country in which you live.
  • janer1967
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,344 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to look at the criteria for your LA for the disabled bus pass. A mobility award and BB doesn't always automatically entitle you to the bus pass. It doesn't with my LA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.