PIP not awarded as scored 0 on everything — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP not awarded as scored 0 on everything

Options
DmRitchie
DmRitchie Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I've just had my first application for PIP rejected and scored 0 points on all categories. I was diagnosed with anxiety in 2011 and on medication since 2020. Now awaiting ADHD assessment, and potentially going to look at autism assessment as well. 

I'm doing the MR as I am struggling to understand how I could score 0 in everything. There was so much wrong with the decision but I'll just touch on a couple points

In the first paragraph they mentioned my mental health diagnosis and medication. Yet later it says I reported anxiety, but am not on medication for it. This is actually copied and pasted twice. Numerous mentions in the assessment about how it impacts on my interaction, including stammering through the 2+hour call, yet it states "no evidence it restricts you engaging". 

I explained to the assessor about my inability to use public transport, and how I need someone to show me a new journey several times, to be able to undertake it on my own. This was supported with an example of traveling to my new office recently (and getting lost on arrival because I hadn't practiced that bit).  But apparently because I drive my car or ride my motorbike 3-4 a week (only places I know or with other people) He has decided I can plan and follow a journey unaided.

Like most of us I have good and bad days, I made great efforts not to show aggression with the assessor but I wish I hadn't 

There is a statement repeated several times "There is no evidence of significant cognitive or sensory restriction and you are not in receipt of input for the conditions" It is such a non answer, and is used for travel, communication, and financial in the response.

I welcome any feedback, and hopefully others have a more positive experience

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,259 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A lot of the reasons are just standard copy and paste. Best thing you can do is put the assessment report and the decision letter to one side and forget about them because this isn’t going to get you a PIP award.
    You should put the MR in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points.
    Include a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. 
    Give detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. 
    Although PIP is not about your ability to work, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you’re claiming PIP then it can go against you.
    The most likely outcome of the MR is the decision will stay the same. If it does then you can request the Tribunal.
    Timescales for MR decisions are anything from 2-12 weeks, sometimes longer. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jessica141
    jessica141 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Sorry to hear,Is that on your copy of the report or the actual decision letter
  • DmRitchie
    Options
    Sorry to hear,Is that on your copy of the report or the actual decision letter
    That was on the decision letter
  • DmRitchie
    Options
    Update, firstly when I called to ask for a copy of the report, the agent told me that, even after the Mandatory Reconsideration call, you have 30 days to send new evidence including further written reasons why you disagree, which was good to know as it took 2 weeks to get the report. I have had my MR call today, with a very bored sounding woman. Who misheard my "letter date" 3 times and kept telling me how as my request was late (it wasn't) I would have to give reasons why it was late. When they finally stopped talking long enough so I could correct them (I only shouted a little), they just said "oh". I will be adding more in writing, but I suspect that the MR will not see anything change and I will have to take it further.

I think the most annoying thing, is despite the 2018 ruling about discrimination for PIP claims for people with mental health issues, the process still seems as frustrating and unhelpful.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,259 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s always better to put the request in writing, rather than ring to ask. Even though you were told that you can send in evidence after you requested it, this doesn’t mean they will wait for that evidence. Once you request it, that time has started and a decision could be made at anytime.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.