Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Help Needed, Please.

Options
Spitfire22
Spitfire22 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Admin, delete if posted in the wrong group.
Sorry in advance, for the long post.

I am after some advice from some of the members of the group. 

Yesterday, Friday (10.06.22), I was let go from my current work place, I had only been there for a week, in which time, I was training for the job, I was supposed to have minimum of 2 weeks training, as stated in job advert, which I do have a copy of, I received one week.

So now, I have no job, looking for new jobs  all the time, already joined, a few of the top job websites.
Which means, no money coming in, like everyone else, I have bills to pay etc.

Never been in this situation before. 
Until I can get another job, which I am unsure of how long it will take. I get standard pip for Living Allowance, Enhanced pip for Mobility,  as on 2 crutches with a slipped disc in my back, along with other disabilities, which in turn means that I have very poor mobility (Gait), I can hardly walk, or stand, (have no scooter/electric wheel chair, unable to afford one), so it would have to be a sitting down position,  which would give me less employment options. 
So I am unsure of what benefits I would likely be able to claim, or even how I would go about claiming them, as never been in this situation. We also live in a council property. 

Any help very much appreciated. 

So sorry, for the long write up.

Jason. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Before you started this job were you claiming any other benefits apart from PIP? If so which ones please?
    You also said “we live in a council property “ do you live with a partner? If so are they working?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Spitfire22
    Options
    Hi Poppy,
    Thank you for your message. 
    No, I am not claiming any other benefits, beside pip, as unsure, if I can or not, as I have always worked full time. Only claim pip. 
    I am married, my wife is early medically retired, she has a blood clot near the lungs, diabetes type 2, deaf in 1 ear, don't think it is 70%, but wears hearing aid, in one ear  mic in the other ear, she is only getting a small pension. My wife is not claiming any benefits, as unsure if we are entitled to any. Just so you know, I am 52 y.o, my wife is 60 y.o.

We live in a 1 bedroom gf council flat.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,052 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    If you’ve always worked and you’ve paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021 then you can claim new style ESA. You’ll need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#how-to-apply
    It maybe possible to claim Universal Credit but as it’s a means tested benefit you will need to claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you’re excluded from claiming. You can report a health condition when you claim and send in fit notes from your GP. Your wife’s pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    If you claim both of those together then the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    It will definitely be worth your while to get a full benefits check from an agency near you.
    Does your wife claim PIP or DLA? When did she finish work?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Spitfire22
    Options
    My wife doesn't claim dla or pip. My wife got early medical retirement in 2017. My wife only gets a small pension from her previous employer HMRC, Nothing else.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.