Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Loaning money to family

Options
cpnan
cpnan Community member Posts: 50 Connected
edited June 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi,
Currently in receipt of uc and I’m needing to loan my son some money from my savings to help him out of a rut.

He will be paying me back £60 a month for the foreseeable!

I’m not concerned about deprivation of assets as I know uc will continue to deduct money based on the amount I had when I started the claim.  

However I am wondering whether uc would consider the £60 a month as ‘income’ because that way I would be being ‘penalised’ twice.

Any advice greatly appreciated 😊

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,115 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, the £60 will not be classed as income.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cpnan
    Options
    Thank you so much poppy, I really appreciate your help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so glad to see you've found the community helpful @cpnan it's a nice feeling when you can put a worry to rest :) 

How are you doing this weekend?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • cpnan
    Options
    It’s been a stressful one with discovering my son has gotten into financial difficulties and I’m also awaiting the outcome of my work capability assessment!  

As in previous post I made, I have had a letter stating lcw, however I have also received one stating I’m owed backpay for aug21-feb22 because I have been awarded lcwra.  
    Even the work coach I saw at the jobcentre on Friday couldn’t work out what is going on!  He’s asked for a case manager to look at it again. 

I’m sick with worry and hoping to hear from them soon so I know where I’m at.

I hope you are having a good Sunday 😊

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Okay @cpnan thanks for explaining, I can understand why you're anxious, especially when things aren't clear yet. But you've done all you need to do, and the case manager will be looking into it for you, I hope it's LWCRA.

Keep us up to date when you hear more, and if you can try to put it to the back of your mind and focus on something which helps you relax, destress and feel happy :) 

And thank you I am, it's nice and sunny out, which is always a boost. Do say if you feel like we can support you while you wait for news. You can always visit the Coffee Lounge and pass the time with a few games. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • cpnan
    Options
    Thank you for your advice.  At this point I can only hope that my son sticks to the repayment plan and doesn’t create more problems for himself. 

I know it’s a big risk, but as a mum I had to try to help him. I’ve told him I can only him help him financially this once.  Any further issues and he will have to seek debt management advice, which of course I would help him with.

Thank you again, I do appreciate your input.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Speaking for myself @cpnan as a Mom i would try and help my family out if i can.
  • cpnan
    Options
    Thank you Sue.  I couldn’t not try.  
    Doesn’t matter how old they get, some mums still feel impelled to help in any way we can and I’m not sure that’s necessarily a bad thing 😊. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No not a bad thing @cpnan i'm a silver surfer myself, my own Mom who passed away a long time ago now once told me "you never stop worrying about your children even when they are adults" i have found this to be true now my own family have family of their own. We do what we can even if it's just advise.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Same here I would always help my child oui if I could regardless of if they paid me back or not 

Something our family had always done . My mum helped me out few years ago when my husband left us and refused to pay anything towards his own child even left his job so child maintenance couldn't stop it out his wages . 

This also incurred extra child care costs as I had to put toby in childcare so I could continue working 

But back to the point my mum helped me out I didn't ask just got cheque in post with letter from her . She knew the reason I wasn't visiting her 25 miles away was down to not being able to afford the petrol 

She did this couple of times until I was back on my feet financially . When I offered her the money back she refused 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,962 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it's nice you're able to offer help to your son and I'm so happy it won't be penalised on your UC <3 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.