PIP & Work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP & Work

Options
mary123
mary123 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello - my son has put in an application for PIP for his epilepsy. DWP have had the report but we're still awaiting a decision. 
In the interim a job has come up at the local shop basically serving customers  - it's 10 hours a week (split into two 5 hour shifts) on minimum wage - so he'll probably earn £80/90 a week before tax/ni etc (if applicable).  The job would be with other staff, so he'd never be on his own in the shop, and he's told them he has epilepsy; although is on medication etc. 
We're not sure he's even going to get anything from the PIP - although may get something for mobility (looks like he may not make the threshold for living allowance - they've sent us a copy of the report so we've already seen the points etc). 
Just wondering if he needs to declare the job to PIP/DWP or if they'll know about it through his NI/Tax/Earnings etc? Many thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    PIP doesn’t have anything to do with working. People claim PIP and work. It’s not means tested so no, he doesn’t need to report it.
    Does he claim any other benefits?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mary123
    mary123 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you. No we don’t claim any other benefits - PIP was first one so hopefully all will be okay. He’s just leaving school and lost a lot of confidence with his epilepsy so hoping small part time job might start to rebuild his self-belief/worth.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do bear in mind that once the PIP decision's been made, if you're not happy you can challenge that decision by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR).
    Good luck to your son with his job.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck to him with the job it'll be so good for his confidence! <3

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.