Antidepressants ruined my life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Antidepressants ruined my life

Options
Scytaic
Scytaic Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I'm Scytaic, 26yo, they/them. :smile:

I'll try to keep this as short as possible! Before Citalopram I had/have: CPTSD, PTSD, OCD, Anxiety, Autism, Executive dysfunction disorder, Dyspraxia, DID (still being looked into), and Gender dysphoria.

I took Citalopram for 4 years, I withdrew too quickly (4 months), and now to this day, 6 years later, I also have: PGAD/Pudendal neuralgia, Akathesia, Tinnitus, Chronic earworm, Fibromyalgia, Panic disorder, IBS, Acid reflux, Aphasia (still being looked into), Tardive dyskinesia, POTS, Clinical depression, Situational depression, Worsened anxiety and OCD, new PTSD (the withdrawals were/are extremely traumatic), and drug sensitivty.
I found out I wasn't alone after joining some antidepressant support groups, and some have it even worse than me.

I'm mostly housebound, I can't use any type of transport (except for smooth/cushioned cars on slow roads), but I try to stay optimistic and never give up hope of healing.

Thank you for reading. :blush:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @scyatic :) Thank you for giving us some more information about your situation. I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with anti-depressants. Thankfully, most people who take medicines like citalopram won't experience any serious side effects. If anyone's worried about the side effects of citalopram, they can read the NHS information page here.

Are you receiving enough support with your medical team to help you manage your physical and mental health conditions? 

Finding it difficult to leave the house must be tough to deal with. Are you able to get all of the essential items you need in, such as food and medicine? 

Do you mind me asking whether you live alone, or whether someone else lives with you? Do you feel you have enough support at home?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Viola
    Viola Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Options
    Bless you! That's a lot for one person to be dealing with @Scytaic. What an ordeal!

You've got the right outlook on it though. I've only just started posting here, but I've been reading the boards for years and everyone is lovely. I know you'll be really welcome!  <3

I've been jumping between different meds all my life and I haven't been able to comfortably leave the house in a long time, but I've got great friends to help out when I need them. Do you have everything you need? Do you have a good support network around you?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.