If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Surely with a fit note that says 'not fit for work' I shouldn't be hounded to look for jobs?

Options
Denbat07
Denbat07 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
Hi I'm new to the group
I have been sending sick notes in to universal credit since march. I am awaiting a diagnosis of either rheumatoid arthritis or fibromyalgia. 
I have been made to go onto the restart scheme. Iv been attending since April. Surely with a fit note that says 'not fit for work' I shouldn't be hounded to look and apply for a silly amount of jobs that my advisor is pushing onto me? She shows no empathy towards my situation, if I mention my health problems she just continues to talk about jobs she has found for me to apply for.....
Any advice from anyone would be great 😊
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,133 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    When claiming UC with a fit note you're classed as a job seeker until a decision's been made on your work capability assessment. It's a work coaches discretion whether they turn off or reduce work commiments, some will and others won't.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Has your work coach referred you for a work capability assessment which should be done after 28 days of being declared with a medical condition if not then make sure they have 

If they have you should have recieved a uc50 form to complete and return 

The process does take a while and as above until a decision has been made you are considered a job seeker . Discuss with your work coach your difficulties and ask if they can reduce your work commitments 
  • Denbat07
    Options
    Hi 
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes iv filled in and sent off the uc50 form. I guess it's just a case of waiting for the assessment. 
    I'm just worried that I'm being forced to take a job and I'm not well at the moment. Also afraid that the advisor at the restart scheme will comment to uc and I'll be sanctioned.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Denbat07 are you applying due to finishing work recently on sick leave ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You may have quite a wait for the work capability assessment. In a lot of areas people are waiting several months and more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Denbat07
    Options
    Yes I finished work in March, I resigned with Ill-health and started to put sick notes in to uc. They were fine with this  but then referred me to the Reed restart scheme 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You may also want to consider claiming New style ESA if you've paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021.
    There's no financial gain to claiming both because the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. New style ESA isn't means tested like UC is so it could benefit you in the future. It also pays class 1 NI credits, where as UC only pays class 3. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#how-to-apply
    You will need a fit note and your SSP1 form to claim it.

• Denbat07
    Options
    I'm not really sure how new style works? 
    Would I still have to go to the restart scheme appointments? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The restart scheme doesn't have anything to do with New style ESA so yes you would still need to attend. If claiming both ESA and UC you will only need to have 1 work capability assessment, not 2.
    You can see more information about New style ESA in the link i provided above. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#overview
    If you've paid the correct amount of NI contributions it's definitely worth claiming it.

• SueHeath
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456 relating to this - sorry for jumping on your thread @Denbat07 - when i had my phone call the lady told me all i have to do is send in my doctors note then wait for my forms to be looked at then they will decide if i have to go for a medical she told me how much i will get now. My doctors notes are every two months i know i will only get this till i am at retirement age next June. So i might be at this situation till next year ???
    Or will mine be different and quicker or should i just go with the flow, put it behind me and wait for any appointments ????? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sue, you will, provided you meet the NI requirements, initially get paid the assessment rate £77/week. If you are put in the Support Group (after an assessment) this will increase to £117.60/week from the14th week. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Hi @poppy123456 relating to this - sorry for jumping on your thread @Denbat07 - when i had my phone call the lady told me all i have to do is send in my doctors note then wait for my forms to be looked at then they will decide if i have to go for a medical she told me how much i will get now. My doctors notes are every two months i know i will only get this till i am at retirement age next June. So i might be at this situation till next year ???
    Or will mine be different and quicker or should i just go with the flow, put it behind me and wait for any appointments ????? 

Most people have assessments for this. There are certain conditions that automatically entitle you to be placed into the Support Group, for example, if a person is receiving treatment for cancer by way of chemotherapy or radiotherapy. For this to apply you must either be actually receiving it, or:
    you are likely to receive such treatment within 6 months; or you are recovering from such treatment.

There are backlogs in a lot of areas. So yes you could be still waiting next year.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    So i don't need to carry my phone every were, even to the bathroom phew it's that new to me.
  • Denbat07
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information 😊 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    So i don't need to carry my phone every were, even to the bathroom phew it's that new to me.
    No. If an assessment is needed you will be sent an appointment by letter. 
  • tifo
    tifo Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Options
    This is standard with the DWP. They don't believe GP fit notes, only their own assessors, who don't always make a fair assessment. I've had 3 years of this but my work coach was understanding, however when the fit note expired it triggered a note to say "get another one or it will be full work search for you" when I clearly wasn't capable.
  • Denbat07
    Options
    It's just so unfair. I seem to have more uc and restart appointments now than I did before I started putting my fit notes in? I had a uc appointment on Saturday and I mentioned that the girl at the restart scheme was hounding me. The advisor said he'd have a word with her so I now wish that I hadn't mentioned as I have an appointment with her Thursday and then a uc appointment Friday! These people are going to cause a lot of mental health issues for people already suffering physical health problems 😕 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I swear they seem to be unfairly targeting those who put in fit notes and focussing on getting them to work harder than those who are just job seekers. :( 
  • Denbat07
    Options
    I Definitely agree there! 
  • Catherine712
    Catherine712 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    @Denbat07, when I first got sick in February 2022 and got my first fit note in March 2022 I put it on my UC Journal, for a while I had a few problems but not that many. 

I have sent in 2 fit notes since that and the last fit note ends this month whereas I will get another fit note. The job Centre and my advisor have been pretty good I must say and closed the account down as far as finding work goes until I get an answer back from the results and the Phone Assessment I had for capability to work is ready. ( Results  for MRI and X rays I have now )  

My advisor still rings me up every 2 weeks as it’s her job to do that regardless of me being unfit for work. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.