Is it ok for a company to ask for proof of disability pre interview? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it ok for a company to ask for proof of disability pre interview?

Options
Noodles1066
Noodles1066 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all,

I’ve just spotted this in a job advert and wondered whether it was legal?

”Should you require reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, please let us know during the selection process. Please note that you will be required to provide an educational psychologist report in support of any reasonable adjustments.”

Feels like this shows the employer sees reasonable adjustments as giving an advantage rather than levelling the field. 

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

”Please note that you will be required to provide an educational psychologist report in support of any reasonable adjustments.”

That doesn't seem very disability friendly I have to say. It's not as though it's easy to get an educational psychologist report and certainly isn't cost-free in most cases!!
    I don't know if it's legal or not but to me it shows their attitude towards disability
  • Noodles1066
    Options
    That’s what I thought too.
  • Noodles1066
    Options
    It’s not an academic role. It’s also a public sector organisation and is in all of their advertised roles from basic admin to senior leaders.

It seems like it’s aimed at neurodiverse in particular - an Ed Psych wouldn’t be appropriate for and they’ve not asked for an ortho report for someone who needs physical reasonable adjustments.
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 240 Pioneering
    Options
    Interesting. 
    This sounds similar to my experience I posted here last week.
    My employer deemed it fit to sent me an email saying I would not be considered for more hours because of the issues around me unable to stand for a longer period of time.
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.