University and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

University and ESA

Options
aj_
aj_ Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi
Can anyone answer this question please?
My daughter is on PIP, she is 18 and going to University in September this year. 
She can not work, will she be able to apply for ESA, being a student?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To receive new style ESA she would need to have a complete NI record for the years 2019 to 2021 which I assume she hasn't. Therefore she cannot be paid anything.

She can, I think, still apply and will receive NI credits if, after a Work Capability Assessment, is found to meet the conditions for ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,348 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    New claims for Income Related ESA are no longer possible because all areas are now Universal Credit. If she's a full time student then she won't be able to claim UC (if she has parental support) unless she's already been assessed as having limited capability for work.
    University students usually claim a student loan so she should look at claiming this. https://www.ucas.com/sfe
    May i ask what she's doing at the moment? Is she a student?
    There may also be extra support available to her because she's disabled. See link. https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @aj_. Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today?

Thanks for reaching out to us. I can see @calcotti and @poppy123456 have already responded to your question.

The only thing I would add is that your daughter can also apply for Student Finance England. This will provide your daughter with some money for course fees and living maintenance. 

I hope we have, collectively, been able to answer your question. However, if you or your daughter need anything else or have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.