Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Benefit cap

Options
puppy1977
puppy1977 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi thanks for letting me join. I was diagnosed with a bowel disease last year. I was claiming ssp from 1st July 2021 up until January 14th 2022 when the 26 weeks were up. I put in a claim for esa contribution based and that started on the 14th january. I also switched over from tax credits and working tax credits to uc on the 7th January bad mistake. Anyway they have placed us on the benefit cap whilst waiting on work capability assessment. My wife has also got a disability too. There seems so much confusion to the grace period I've been reading this week that ssp should count towards the grace period even though it falls below the earnings threshold. Before my illness I had worked the previous 12 months earning well above the threshold. I feel as if you are being punished for becoming ill. Has anyone else had this 
Many thanks 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Are either of you receiving a disability benefit?
    puppy1977 said:.. ssp should count towards the grace period even though it falls below the earnings threshold. 
    Have you got a link for that?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • puppy1977
    Options
    Waiting on pip assesment and work capability assessment 
  • puppy1977
    Options
    EARNINGS, STATUTORY PAYMENTS AND MA
    Earned income includes employed and self-employed earnings, employer sick pay and furlough payments.3Earned income also includes statutory maternity pay (SMP), statutory paternity pay, statutory sick pay (SSP), statutory adoption pay, statutory shared parental pay, and statutory parental bereavement pay. Note that SSP is too low to reach the earnings threshold required. An adviser with a client who does not qualify for this reason may wish to contact CPAG for advice.
    The DWP appears to accept that, where someone claims UC after statutory payments come to an end, s/he is regarded as having ceased paid work (for regulation 82(2)(b)) on the day after the last day in respect of which the statutory payments were made.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Even if applicable, I don’t see how that helps. If the day SSP ended is the relevant date then you would need to have earned over the threshold in the 12 months prior to that - which, unless your wife is working too, you will not.

(As an aside, your entitlement to Working Tax Credits would have ended with your SSP anyway, although any Child Tax Credits could have continued.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • puppy1977
    Options
    Yeah it doesn't make much sense eh. Very unfair though I was hoping someone else had maybe encountered the same 
  • puppy1977
    Options
    That's why I started claiming uc as the working tax element was about to be taken away and thought we would be better off 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Child Tax Credits are included within the benefit cap too.
  • puppy1977
    Options
    I stopped claiming child tax credits when I moved to uc though 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    they're not capped though, they just are included in calculations for capping housing benefit etc
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    they're not capped though, they just are included in calculations for capping housing benefit etc
    Fair point, if no HB in payment previously then the cap would have been irrelevant.
  • puppy1977
    Options
    I was receiving housing benefit prior to claiming uc 
  • calcotti
    Options
    puppy1977 said:
    I was receiving housing benefit prior to claiming uc 
    So would have been hit by the benefit cap even if you hadn’t applied for UC.
  • puppy1977
    Options
    OK thankyou appreciate all your help I was hoping there was some kind of loophole. Just have to hope they hurry qith the assessment 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    If you are found to have LCWRA (or get PIP) they will have to recalculate your previous payments without the benefit cap applied and you will get paid back the difference.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.