If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I do part time work if in receipt of UC and LCWRA payments

Options
Yeovilboy1
Yeovilboy1 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited June 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help.

I have been gaining UC along with additional payment for being in the LCWRA group, which means that I am not presently required to look for work or do work related activities. 

I am wondering if I can do any appropriate part time paid work without my current UC and LCWRA payments being at all effected. I believe there may be a work allowance for someone in my position?

I am aware I can do volunteering, which is good. I think that a few suitable paid hours per week could be good for my health and aid my recovery, though I do not want to jeopardise my current benefit position, which makes an essential difference for me.

Thank you.
David
Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do UC help with your rent? The work allowance amount depends on whether they do or not
  • Yeovilboy1
    Options
    Hi, yes I do get my rent paid in full by UC, thank you
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your Work Allowance is £344/month. Earnings up to £344 will not affect your UC. If you earn more than £344 your UC is reduced by 55% of the amount over £344/month (so you're still better off).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Yeovilboy1
    Options
    Thanks Calcotti, 
    Just to clarify, If were to earn up to £344 per month, in addition to my UC not being effected will the extra amount I receive for LWCRA also be unaffected i.e. I keep these benefits as they currently stand if I do not exceed the £344 work allowance?
    Thank you again
    David

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    UC is one monthly payment made up of many different elements. If you earn up to £344 per month your whole UC payments will remain unchanged.
    Do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you were found to have LCWRA then it could go against you next time you’re reassessed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yeovilboy1
    Options
    Thank you very much, that's clear and helpful. One final question if I may. If I do find some part time work, given my aforementioned circumstances, is it advisable to ensure that I report such a change on my UC journal on gov.uk. Thank you, David.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thank you very much, that's clear and helpful. One final question if I may. If I do find some part time work, given my aforementioned circumstances, is it advisable to ensure that I report such a change on my UC journal on gov.uk. Thank you, David.
    Not only is it advisable, it is a requirement. One of the conditions of your Claimant Commitment is that you report any changes. UC will then access information from HMRC about what your employer is paying you and will use this information when calculating your UC payments,
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Yeovilboy1
    Options
    Thank you, much appreciated.
  • tifo
    tifo Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Options
    If a person works whilst on LCW or LCWRA I believe the DWP will take this into consideration at the renewal assessment  ..... This can be unfair because it is 'Limited' not 'Never'.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    tifo said:
    If a person works whilst on LCW or LCWRA I believe the DWP will take this into consideration at the renewal assessment  ..... This can be unfair because it is 'Limited' not 'Never'.

Providing the work they do doesn't contradict the reasons why they were found to have LCW/LCWRA there shouldn't be any problems.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.